10 week Strength plan

I’ve spent a year remediating muscle imbalances from 30 years of being a desk jockey. The 10-week resistance plan was my first final exam, and it feels like I got an A. Looking forward to next year’s exam! :wink:

1 Like

So just when I was starting to wonder why my legs were not tired after week 1 of hypertrophy I had the zone 2 90min spin today. Legs felt like bricks!! Kept to zone 2 power but HR was up to high zone 3!

Going to be an interesting 110 TSS ride tomorrow. :rofl:

3 Likes

I have just bought the 10 week strength programme. Do I need a calorie surplus during the muscle building phase or any other phase? Female age 65, definitely need more muscle and strength on the bike. I have just completed a fat loss period to get rid of 5kg of fat put on during lockdown so I don’t want to put that back on.

1 Like

Hi - my view is always make sure you fuel enough to be able to nail the work out. I eat healthy but a lot! But it ensures I don’t get that hunger feeling during workouts.

Adaptation phase (first 3 weeks) is a good time to experiment.

1 Like

Hey @jean12 ! Contrary to what you might hear, you do not necessarily need a calorie surplus to gain muscle mass. However, you don’t want to be in much of a deficit either. It is a finicky balance, with the most important thing being protein timing and total protein intake. During resistance training, athletes should aim to consume a total of 1.5-1.7g per kg of protein per day. For a 150 lb (68kg) athlete that is about 110g of protein per day.

It is also important to ensure that you are consuming protein before and immediately after your workout so that protein is not broken down and utilized for energy. For meals outside of that time frame you want to aim for roughly 20-30g of protein per meal.

Here is an example of how to put what I am saying into action:
25g at breakfast before training, 25g after training/at lunch, 15-20g for their 2 snacks and 25-30g at dinner.

Again, this should be done while balancing your daily calorie needs without going over.

3 Likes

Hi Lacey

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me. I am relieved that a don’t need a calorie surplus as I don’t want to put the fat back on.
Thanks for the reminder about protein. I will use my fitness pal and make sure I am getting enough each day without going over.

1 Like

Just finished week 5 and this last week my legs been burning and heavy.

Im 55 so have had to compensate a bit during weekends and instead of doing a zone 2 and group ride have combined them both and done a slightly longer ride on one day and completely rested the other. Hope this is ok with the plan.

Also helps me join my usual weekend group ride which I started feeling tired but then felt ok as long as it wasnt zone 4+.

Looking forward to the strength section next.

1 Like

I’m also just finishing week 5. TSS ride tomorrow completes it.

I’ve found legs feeling ok during the week but the z2 Saturday rides are so so tough. Did the 2hr ride this morning and legs felt completely fatigued for the first hour. Z2 power but high z3 HR!!

Just realised when get to rest day on Wed it would have been 19 straight days of gym or cycle on the plan!!!

1 Like

Hi all

When the 10 week strength plan is finished what is recommenced before starting base phase? Is a week of rest/recovery advised rather than jumping straight into base?

I certainly feel like I am going to be pretty cooked by time I get to end of this 10 week strength plan.

1 Like

You can jump directly into the sweet spot base and this is how we have designed the 32 week off season plan too. I am sure @FRANK could elaborate more on the reasoning there as he is the brains behind that plan :upside_down_face:

Thanks. Would love to understand the rationale as keen to get back some freshness before embark on an ftp test and then base phase

Completed my first day of hypertrophy today but just realized I read the sheet wrong and did the same 65% all 6 sets. Kind of bummed out but I am just going to move on. The leg curl machine, broke a week ago, what a joke right, so I have just been doing the romanain deadlift.

2 Likes

Day 2, whoaaaa. Tomorrow’s 1 hr endurance ride will be interesting power wise haha. Thanks @FRANK for bringing the pain!!

3 Likes

‘Cry in the DoJo to Laugh on the Battlefield’

3 Likes

1 week to go on the 10 week plan. 150TSS ride yesterday and 3hr 15mins z2 today has left the legs fatigued!

I am really pleased to see the ride progression on weekends as starting to feel ready for base phase.

Just got to get through next weekends 150 TSS and 4hrs z2!

2 Likes

You got this @frazrider!
Way to push through, the hard work will pay off come race season :muscle:t3:

Coming to the end of 10 week plan! Last 3 weeks have been the strange with gym closed and having to do lighter exercises with vipr and kettlebells but glad I did something rather than nothing.

Just 7 hours to get through this weekend to finish the plan. Only hindsight will tell me if I this helps make me stronger but great to mix it up for 10 weeks. Monday off and Tuesday ftp test before base begins.

3 Likes

Am a few weeks behind you and have been tracking your progress. Very insightful posts thank you. Starting week 2 of Hypertrophy on Monday and having to improvise is a challenge but in a good way. Thanks again.:weight_lifting_man:‍♂

2 Likes

@efty19 @frazrider

Love all of the positivity and progress updates!
Yall keep up the good work – it will pay off :muscle:t3:

1 Like

Keep it going. It will all pay off in the end.

2 Likes