10 week resistance question

today was my second day at the gym and I’ve been increasing my load by 10lbs each set as prescribed, and it’s already getting pretty hard, so I feel like ill probably hit my 8 rep limit soon, so when that happens should I just continue to lift the 8 rep max weight until I can lift more? also today I worked up to 95lbs on the squat, so the next workout I would start from the 95lbs right?

I was advised to ease myself into the gym workouts and not go hell for leather. Get a feel for the equipment etc. It was a challenge to get acclimatized to the gym environment but now heading for my final 2 weeks and may buy a beanie hat and a tattoo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hey Roston!
After your first gym session, gradually start to increase your load. For instance, start by lifting 5 lbs for the squat. With each set increase the weight by 5 lbs. Then for each workout after that start out with more weight than the last workout. Make it challenging, but not so difficult that your form falters and dont aim to go until failure during this phase.

We intentionally don’t indicate how much weight to lift in the adaptation phase because that’ll come after you set your 1RM. Until then feel your way up and start to challenge yourself in the 3rd week.

Some athletes have indicated that they have done something along these lines:
Day 1 = 0, 5, 10, 15. Day 2 = 5, 10, 15, 20
But again, your load will be specific to you!

1 Like