Weights - hypertrophy

Just listened back to the 2019 podcast on the off season 10 weeks weight plan and it mentions a few times that the Hypertrophy phase is 120 reps each day of each exercise?

Am I misunderstanding as my plan suggest 60 (6x10 reps)?

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the plan but that sounds unlikely? Typically the rep range of a set designed to stimulate hypertrophy will be in the 8-12 range for 3-5 sets.

I suppose it could be something similar to a German volume training protocol but that would be a lot of volume for someone who isn’t a fairly serious lifter.

1 Like

I have the plan and I just peeked over there. Without revealing too much, in the hypertrophy phase, it’s 6x10 reps per set for each of the prescribed lifts (squat, leg press, leg curl) and then brief rests between sets.

Thanks. I have purchased the plan but wanted to confirm as the podcast suggested 120! Ouch.

3 Likes

But that’s 60-70 reps not 120 right?

Yes, my guess is that The Big Cat was referring to the combination of the light and heavy portions of the hypertrophy phase. Together those will be 120-140 reps of each exercise across the 2 workouts.

1 Like

I just hit that phase of the plan and holy smokes this is a lot of squatting! I have faith in Frank and the FasCat plans, but does 24 sets of high-rep squats over 5 days seem like a lot to you? I’ve spent a good amount of years in the gym and have never even tried squatting back to back days, let alone that volume. I also have nothing to show for it but hey.

1 Like

I am not used to the gym so enjoying the change from just riding and this have loads of motivation. I am on 1st week of Hypertrophy so 2 days in out of the 8 gym days in hypertrophy stage so will let you know how I feel! Certainly can feel the ache tonight.

Cry in the Dojo - been prescribing that volume of work to athletes for 20 years and no one has died, everyone has gotten faster.

It is not 24 sets. it is 6 sets of each of the 3 exercises

4 Likes

I meant 24 sets over the week, but either way it’s you expertise I’m here for so I’ll be squatting away. Thanks!

The fact it is only for 2 weeks makes it a great challenge with the end in sight!!!

This is my second year in the plan. From memory it was the weekend rides where I suffered due to legs feeling like wood.

3 Likes

You can do it! :muscle::muscle:

Your 1RM is to your weight lifting as your FTP is to your zone based intervals - individualized and sets you up for success

Holy cow, the Hypertrophy phase is wiping me out… anyone else? Thank goodness it’s only 2 weeks

3 Likes

I’m only one “heavy” and one “light” in and wow! I’m feeling it (in a good way!). Are you all still doing the core work between exercises? I felt so wiped out after the last two sessions that I wanted to just focus on completing the leg work.

Same, today I’m on day 2 of heavy. I haven’t had time or energy to do any of the Nino. Lifting heavy takes way more time and I need more rest between sets. It’s weird that I can ride for hours and feel good but 1.5 hour of heavy weight training and I’m pooped.

No doubt - its hard work but if it were easy , everyone would be doing it :wink:

I could rattle off a bunch of inspirational quotes but the point is - getting faster is hard work and if you are sore and tired - guess what? You’re doing it right.

So keep it up!

2 Likes

I just did day two, and I am already pretty sore. I haven’t lifted since Lacrosse and soccer teams back in college, so you could say I sorta remember what this feels like, but it’s also been 20 years! I don’t necessarily feel more physically tired yet than I do when doing cycling training, though. I’ll see how I am on Xmas day! Ha.

1 Like

Update: I didn’t die and the block actually went by pretty quickly. Hang in there.

2 Likes

THIS WAS ANSWERED BY THE BIG CAT ON FACEBOOK. THX. Hi Frank (or other coach, happy to have input from anyone with expertise here): I have only one day left in my hypertrophy phase, but at the end of last week, I began to get a pain in the outside of my left knee. It is present both during lifting (all three exercises, least with squats) as well as the day after lifting when bearing weight on the left leg. I have been religiously using both the foam roller on the thighs and IT band as well as the theragun “warmup” and “cooldown”. Any suggestions? I hate to take a break, but I don’t want to create an injury where there is currently inflammation or irritation of some sort. I was still able to do all the heavy hypertrophy lifts this week. Maybe I skip the final hypertrophy light and give it three days before moving to strength phase on Monday and checking for pain? Doesn’t hurt when I ride as long as I engage my left medial glute. This is not a pain I have experienced before due to cycling, nor that I can recall, from other exercise or movement.