Trainer Control

I’m coming from a different bicycle training company that uses their software to control my smart trainer, a KICKR. What are people using to control their smart trainers for the Fascat workouts?

I use Zwift to control the ERG on my kickr - sessions loading in automatically from TrainingPeaks

2 Likes

I recommend using your noggin’ and pedalling harder or easier by feel and real time readout. That’s how you’ll bike race/train so its good not to use a crutch in trainer (ERG mode) :wink:

Once you’ve mastered that then you can export your workout from TrainingPeaks to your smartTrainer for control. https://fascatcoaching.com/tips/how-to-export-your-training-plan/

2 Likes

I’ll have to try manual mode again with my KICKR. The last (and only) time I tried a workout with my Bolt reading my power meter, the Bolt wouldn’t recognize the “ride” as ongoing so it shut off without recording anything.

Looking to get away from ERG again :grinning:

I use Zwift also. Early in the season, winter base (getting the body use to indoor riding), I rely on erg workouts downloaded from Trainingpeaks. Around three to four weeks in, I switch out to freeride workout mode, mostly using the game’s terrain but occasionally with flatroad option on when trying hard to hit the number. I still use erg for warmups, recovery, and cooldowns blocks. Zwift’s xml coding is pretty simple and straightforward.

2 Likes

I’ve used Erg on the trainer from the TP/Zwift connection and also using my Garmin to control it, which is nice as it gives you a range and doesn’t ‘lock’ you on a specific number.

More recently I’ve been freestyle with Erg off on Zwift. This makes you concentrate a lot more. I’ve even done a couple of workouts on the Tour of Watopia Stages. It’s kinda funny to see people chase you down when you do a spring for no apparent reason and then soft pedal for 5 mins during your rest interval.

1 Like

Thanks for the help people. I tried my Bolt again and I must’ve done something wrong in the past because it worked fine on the KICKR. ERG and manual mode seemed fine this time. Looking to buy a Garmin 1030 for a few reasons, the feedback given helps. I may try Zwift again someday but I get more mental stimulus with Netflix, Sling, Hulu, etc.