Tabatas\ Threshold Power

Today I performed tabatas, 3 sets of 8, 40 seconds all out followed by 20 seconds off with 5 minutes of active recovery between sets. I rode 30 minutes to the location to perform the sets and 15 minutes home once completed. After analyzing the data in training peaks, my normalized power was 283 watts for the entire 1 hour and 26 minutes. My FTP is currently set at 274 watts. Tomorrow I’m suppose to do 4 sets of 12 minute thresholds. My question is do I raise my FTP to the 283 watts that I achieved today or leave it at the 274 from my initial FTP test at the beginning of the plan?

Yes but no

283w is at least what your FTP is now. But you only want to derive FTP power from when you are going as hard as you can for 20 minutes or more.

Check your data for you highest 20 minute output in the last 1-3 weeks and that might give you better insight to what your FTP is above 283.

I’d DEFinitely increase your FTP before tomorrow’s workout to at least 283w and maybe more depending on what you find in your data, congrats! :muscle:

1 Like

Thanks Frank, My highest 20 minute output is 301 Watts. Multiplied by .925 puts me right at 280. I’m going to ride with 283 because I think I can do better. The V02 and Anaerobic work has been a huge difference in my strength on the bike. I feel stronger each week.

3 Likes

perfect on the peak 20 minute power data point. Isn’t data great? To answer your questions. Congrats and glad to hear the training is working for ya!

1 Like