5 wks in to 16 wk SS training

Hey gang. I’m 5 weeks into my 16 wk intermediate SS training program. Enjoying everything thoroughly so far. I have noticed improvements in my power output and needed some input on adjusting my FTP moving forward. I think the best example that I have is from yesterday. 2.5 hour “group ride” with 4x15 minute efforts. The average power over those efforts was approximately 220 watts. My starting FTP was 218 watts. Should I consider bumping my FTP to 230? I believe that is within my wheelhouse for 20 minutes.

Thanks

Awesome @rykerbodo - this is what we like to hear!

It is entirely possible and the inspiration behind this podcast and video:

A word of caution - your 20 minute power is not your FTP. It may be used to help you sleuth out your FTP but only if you were going as hard as you could have which is rare except from a field test.

Regardless, you are improving - keep #FtFP’ing!

1 Like

Hey Frank, thanks! Listened to the podcast episode…exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for the insights. Ready to keep crushing it.

1 Like

@FRANK would this be enough to establish an FTP?

Strava estimates FTP at 297W & Training Peaks at 292W

First look at the data in the file from start to finish and if you were going as hard as you could?

1 Like

Probably were not going as hard as possible, it was 3 laps of Watopia Hilly Route in a TTT scenario, this included 3 opportunities to do the aero tuck and recover, so possible that FTP could be even higher? But given that previous estimates were 276W would this not be good enough just for an interim FTP benchmark until an official FTP test can be done in a 5 weeks time.

I think so then - but what I was talking about is that you show your power data graph and we can point out the normalized power output that demonstrates what your new FTP is

1 Like

Ah of course.
Sorry this is from my mobile phone right now, so I hope it’s clear enough.

@FRANK I think this is the graph you were looking for? I’ve selected the entire ride minus the last downhill.

The Best 20mins was from the start.

Yea, I’d need to get in there and manually analyze the data to say exactly

but you did 311-312 np for 20 & 36minutes - what did you do for the whole thing not counting when you crossed the finish line. That last 1-2 minute high power output will increase the overall average even higher!

What was that wattage and what was the duration - that will help you determined what your FTP is. Its definitely higher than you have it set, congrats!

1 Like

Thanks Frank, but that’s it, duration was just a 38:40 according to the official results of WTRL TTT.

This was the entire ride up until the finish line 38:40