Swapping Training Weeks

Quick question regarding swapping training weeks.

The first week of March I’m going on vacation to go backpacking in the Grand Canyon. That week will be week 8 of the 16 week strength & conditioning + base (intermediate) training plan. The week prior (last week of February) is scheduled as a regeneration week.

Should I FTFP and take the regeneration week prior to vacation, or should I swap the two weeks so that the regeneration week falls on my vacation?

I will be staying at “lower” elevations (in the canyon proper) 4 out of 7 days. I’m not sure how much of effect that will have on my recovery/fitness, I’m from Kentucky and the average elevation here is around 750’ so still quite a bit of a difference.

Anything else I should take into consideration as far as training goes leading up to and following the vacation?

Thanks in advance for your help!

That’s a great question, @bagoetzinger!
It sounds like your vacation isn’t going to be full of relaxation and drinking margaritas on the beach. While you may be off the bike for the week, you’re probably going to be pretty tired at the end of a week of backpacking at altitude.
That said, I don’t know how much hiking you’ll be doing, or anything about you and your fitness level, so if you feel like that week of vacation is going to be a piece of cake and you’ll come back feeling rested and refreshed, then go ahead and make your Regen week line up with the vacation. Otherwise, take the Regen week as planned, then go on vacation and resume the plan as scheduled when you get home. Either way, you don’t need to worry about losing fitness. You may feel a little flat starting up again, but that will dissipate after a few days.