Life Happening—Travels days

I will be driving my daughter to college on August 21-23 (Friday Saturday Sunday). This occurs at the end of week 4 of SSB Polarized (with the 20 min test on Saturday). There is a chance I could get back on Sunday in time for a ride but I will have been driving for 8-10 hours.

What do you recommend I do? I could do the 20 min test on Thursday but not sure what workouts to do leading up to that. Or should I do some other workouts that week and estimate my FTP from my rides?

Thanks

1 Like

I would recommend you doing Friday and Saturdays workout on Wednesday and Thursday. Then if you time to ride on Sunday just doing an easy zone 2 ride.

1 Like

So more life happened! Got sick with a cold so my last three days have been shot. And I doubt I’ll be doing anything tomorrow. With the travel next week taking my daughter to school, I figured I’d just do a restart for Polarized sweet spot on 8/24 when I’m back. Since I’m not training for anything specific this year, I figured that made sense. Does that make sense to you? and any thoughts on filling the gap until then when I feel better. Just ride, focus on intervals? or something else.

Thanks

I would just ride zone 2 when you can. Mix in some sweet spot efforts so that when you start sweet spot 4 plan it is not a shock to the system. Make sure the weekend before you begin the plan is not too hard as you don’t want to go into the plan fatigued.

If you have our sweet spot 3 plan or the 18 week plan look towards the end of those plans for some of our crisscross workouts. These would be good as you would get a mix of intensity so that the first time you go really hard is not the first workout of the sweet spot 4 plan. That would be a shock to the system. Though the good thing is you do start with only 3 minute efforts as you build up to over the first 3 weeks.