2021 Cyclocross Training

I’m doing the 60-64, also on the 8th. So we’ll be going slower and more methodically than you in the kids category…:wink:
See ya there. This Saturday I’m racing the last New England race (Ice Weasels). Hoping to finally win something.

Good luck!! It’s interesting that no information has been provided on the course yet. Is that normal? This is my first CX nats.

Thanks. I’m trying to remember Hartford, and Tacoma…I don’t recall a lot of info. Both were epic (look up on YouTube). I’m hoping Chicago will be frozen and faster than those (snow in Hartford, mud in Tacoma).

3 Likes

USAC teased that they were going to show course features. All I have seen so far is a sand pit.

There looks to be a little elevation, but nothing crazy.

It looks like a the best day for precipitation is Tuesday. Other days appear to be dry. Cold, but dry.

2 Likes

I know, right?! So we’ve got a sand pit, stairs, barriers, at least 1 notable hill.

I’m hoping the sand is frozen and relatively firm…

Wound up winning the 55+ at Ice Weasels, nice prizes and top step on podium. Yay. However for crossresults they’re scoring the 45+/55+ all together. I guess the field quality was such that the score wasn’t what I was hoping for. Oh well.

But good enough that I still might get moved up a row at Nats. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Good luck Wocketman!

1 Like

Worked out pretty good. Was ranked 24th (in master’s 60-64), and placed 15th. Had a great start, was 11-12th for a bit, but had to back off some to avoid implosion. Lost a couple places on the last lap but was a fun battle.

Thanks and kudos to Fascats for the very economical plan (“6 weeks to Nationals”). A real bargain!

4 Likes

Nice job Wocketman! I got 12th in 35-39… ultimately my legs felt flat, couldn’t find that top gear on the punchy climbs. Could have been the cold temps or a lingering runny nose that has been passing through our family.

Despite nationals not being great I am really happy with the rest of my cross season. I need to get about 5% faster to flirt with top 5 at Nats… that will be the goal for 2022!

4 Likes

Well done! Do we know yet where 2022 Nats will be? I wonder what FasCat plan will tell us how much time to take off now, that CX season is over?

2 Likes

Trying again here…

Hey FasCats, which of your plan(s) offers a long view plan for the whole year, leading to next CX season & Nationals? I can do bit of road & MTB racing, however all within a framework optimized for CX…

I don’t know, but will post here if I hear of anything. I would imagine they announce in late winter or early spring.

I can tell you what I am doing. I am going to start the 10 weeks of weights in mid Feb. Then transition to the 16 weeks of sweet spot which will take me right up to Aug/Sept. From there I will do a blend of the 6 weeks to Cross or Intervals plan.

1 Like

Hey Wocketman!

We have a Cyclocross Season Plan bundle, which is a great way to prep for CX season.

If you want to start training seriously even earlier, our Weight Lifting plan would be perfect, and/or another Sweet Spot plan to begin building a big base even earlier than the 'Cross season bundle would have you do.

While deciding, definitely take a nice break. We always suggest a couple of weeks off the bike coupled with some unstructured training (soul/fun riding or cross-training). Here is one of our training tips about a proper off-season break!

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll take a look at those!

1 Like