2021 Cyclocross Training

Good first day at Northampton. Much of the race right near CX legend Paul Curley. Last lap slip on wet roots spoiled chance to sprint for 5th, but hung on for 8th. 2nd week of 6 week plan seems to be working well. So far, so good.

3 Likes

Day 2 at Northampton even better. 6th, ahead of some big names, like Paul Curley. The 6 week plan had 4hrs on the agenda for today, but will have to be happy with the race and hour recon/warmup…:wink:

1 Like

Nice New England CX races! Did my last of the “season” today. Tested out CX this year after needing to give up endurance and loved it! Hoping to be a bit more competitive (and have just as much fun) next season.

Wanted to do orchard but it sold out. Worked the last two weekends so Really Rad and Northampton were out.

1 Like

which race did you do?

Want to put in a plug here for the 6 weeks to Nationals plan. I’m really impressed with the results so far. Got 4th at Shedd Park, even after a completely messed up start. With a better start, I actually could have had a shot at winning, against guys I previously couldn’t keep up with.

Training actually works! Whoda think it? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

ah I was born in Lowell!!! Live in CO but someday would love race that one. Great job and good luck at Nats.

Thanks! Tough decision now: should I stick with the 6 week plan exactly (which calls for 4 days in row of ~3hr days, Thurs-Sun), or race again on Saturday and try to get a win?

A top placing will improve my ranking and possibly my starting position at Nats. However The Plan is working so well, I’m afraid to deviate too much from it. To guarantee the best results in the race, I have to change the whole 4+day training block structure.

I’m leaning towards skipping the race and sticking to The Plan. Perhaps one of the FasCat folks can comment…

Yeah I’m in the same conundrum as I have a race on Sunday in my regional series, which I am doing well in. I will probably not be doing the 4 day holiday block. I will probably do a long ride on Thursday to help maintain Z2 fitness.

Ooooo - the 4 day holiday block is the secret sauce to peaking for Nationals!

HIGHLY encourage you to FtFP!

You wanna do well in your regional series or smash watts @ Nationals?

2 Likes

Dang it you’re right

Both, of course…:wink:
It’s too bad that my crossresults score is messed up by the “old” results (pre-FasCats). The avg of my past 3 races would move me up a row at Nats.
But perhaps I’ll skip this weekend, do the 4-day block, and then do one more race the last weekend before Nats, as that matches the plan.

Does anyone know what the Nationals course is going to be like? There is very little information on the internet right now.

2 Likes

Yes, that would be great to know.

2 days into the 4 day Nationals Block. Very glad I have a ton of Thanksgiving leftovers in the fridge because I can’t stop eating.

1 Like

Nice, I hear that! At least the pie slices I take are relatively narrow…

Question for those who may know:
I completed the full 3 hours on the schedule for today, mostly at endurance pace which is all I could really hold for such a long ride. However, my TSS comes out way lower than the recommended TSS for the day. There’s no way I could really go longer and harder and expect to ride tomorrow. I wonder if it’s because I’m a smaller rider with lower wattage numbers in general?

My understanding is TSS is purely based on your power output relative to your FTP (I’m sure it’s more complex than just that) not other factors such as your bodyweight. For instance if you rode for 1 hour at your threshold that would generate a TSS of 100 at any bodyweight.

1 Like

Nats block complete! 749 TSS in the bank… my biggest week ever. Now time to rest and do the short top end workouts.

1 Like

Hmmm I think we just have to chalk that up to everyone being different. I think the point of that ride is to do exactly what you did, 3 hours of endurance riding on very tired legs.

1 Like

Roger that. Same here, fingers crossed. Good luck at Nats. What age group?

35-39 on Wednesday afternoon. Returning champ is back so promises to be exciting race! Also doing pan-ams this Saturday in Texas. You?