Transitioning from Sweet Spot to Gravel Race plan?

Hey Folks,

I’m 16 weeks out to my very hilly gravel race (UnPaved Pa.) I’m doing 90.8 miles with 6,209 feet of climbing. I’m coming back after a bit of a layoff due to work and vacation, so my CTL is a lowly 27. I have the 18 week sweet spot plan and Gravel Hilly Plan. My thought was to build up via the sweet spot plan for 9-10 weeks and then jump into the Gravel Plan leading up to the event. Does this seem reasonable, and is it as simple as just jumping from one to the other, or should I do some kind of transition between the plans?

Yes, just start back with the sweet spot plan. Your number on priority right now should be to gain fitness and get your CTL up! Sweet spot is the best way to do this. The repeatability with it and ability to recover makes it like training gold.

Then transition to the gravel hilly plan. Just make sure you have a regeneration week before starting the gravel plan. This way you can go into that plan fresh. Just repeat a regeneration week from the gravel plan.

Good luck and following the plan. You will get faster!

2 Likes

Thanks Jake, looking to just survive and maybe finish in 8ish hours. Though, faster would still be nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right on @grindgravel - you have the two best plans for what you are trying to - raise CTL & prepare for a gravel event. Like Coach @Jake was saying - edit in regeneration weeks regularly (for example every 4 weeks) and move thru the plans without missing a beat. All the while raising CTL and feeling stronger.

1 Like

Perfect, after tonights ride I’ll make the edits to the plan!

1 Like