Spring/Summer planning

Hi there,

I’m a 38 year old female who has a fair few years of recreational cycling experience, but in the last 12 months I have started to ride and train more seriously. I generally, ride 10-12 hours a week, with a current average of 325km/week. I have about 4 months of Training Peaks data available.

Being in lockdown for much of this year (in Melbourne Australia), I have done much of this on Zwift on the Tacx Neo. This has introduced me to the joys of power data . I have been enjoying Zwift racing and the Zwift “training” programmes. My current category is C, with an FTP of 3.1W/kg.

I have decided it’s time for a more structured approach, but would also like to continue participating in some of the races. I would like to address some of my (many :wink: ) weaknesses: while racing I have noticed that I will generally be able to keep up with the B category women until it hits a hill, then I tend to get dropped :hot_face:; and at the end of the race, when it’s down to a sprint of a few hundred metres I am eating the dust of my nemesis! :expressionless:

Also, with the hope of being let out of lockdown soon and with Summer approaching, I would like to start training for the Falls Creek 3 peaks challenge in March 2021: https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/rides-and-events/peaks-challenge/routes-and-prices/
(Realistically, probably the 100km option for 2021).

So, I would appreciate some advice as to where to start with these goals in mind?

Many thanks,
Aoife

Hi Aoife!

Yeah Zwift racing can be hard! A lot of times you are riding as hard as you can the entire time. Then comes a hill and you have nothing left to give. Sounds like you need to increase your FTP so you are not quite on the limit before the end and have more to give.

So with that in mind and training for a Fondo event in March I would recommend you doing your 18 week sweet spot plan followed by our 6 week Fondo plan. The 18 week sweet spot plan would help you increase your overall fitness and build your overall fitness. Sweet spot training focus on riding just below your threshold (max effort for an hour) and by doing this you are able to get the most out of your workout. You get many physiological adaptations from riding in sweet spot.

The 6 week Fondo plan would give you the perfect lead into your event.

More on sweet spot training:

2 Likes