Splitting up Z2 rides

Hello,
I have just started the 16 weeks of sweet spot plan and am wondering if it is OK to split the mid-week Z2 rides into an AM and PM session. For example, this Wednesday I am supposed to do 1.5 hrs of Z2. If I were to do a 45 minute commute to work and a 45 minute commute home, would that have the same training effect?
Thanks in advance!

Hey!

It would not have quite the same training effect. With the rest between you are allowing your body to recover and not really work on that endurance fatigue.

However this is a 90 minute ride so in reality not really working so much on that endurance fatigue however more so about your general aerobic fitness which this would ultimately do even by splitting up.

So splitting up shouldn’t be too much of an issue in the long run. Sometimes I recommend to my athletes if they can extend one of the ways to at least 60 minutes.

But at the end of the day it is a great use of your time and health by commuting to work and still #FtFP’ing.

2 Likes

Thanks Jake,
That’s a great idea - it would be no big deal to make one of the rides 60+ min. I’ll give that a try

2 Likes