Garmin Workout Screen Power Range vs TP

So I’m a bit confused about the garmin workout screen when doing the fascat workouts outside when synced through TP. It appears the TP workouts are created using a power ‘target’. When that workout appears on the garmin, the garmin workout screen provides a power ‘range’. I can’t work out where that range comes from! It doesn’t align with my garmin power zones, nor the TP power zones. Is it just an auto calculated range +/- compared to the power ‘target’ in the workout?

1 Like

When TrainingPeaks first rolled out the workout builder all they had was target and no option of range so a lot of the plans give you a target.

When you put in your Garmin your Garmin will add a range. This range may not line up with a zone, but the middle of this range is the target. It is + / - 8 watts I believe. Could be more. But just shoot for the middle of the Garmin zone.

Also just be sure that TrainingPeaks and the FTP set in your Garmin match up.

1 Like

Great - thanks Jake! I kind of assumed garmin just added some kind of +/- put couldn’t find an actual answer anywhere on line.

Cheers,

Ben

Hey @bennunan came across this too. You can change it in training peaks.
Double-click on any of the intervals in a workout and it will pop up the workout builder.
Simply change from “target” to “range” at it applies to all steps (intervals, rests, repeats, etc) of the workout. See pink arrow and highlighted field in the pic attached.

Not sure if you can do it globally for a given plan. So do it workout by workout. Also forces you to look ahead of time and dig into the workouts before they happen :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks @dpaeth - I did stumble across that and had a play with it!

What I’ve found though is the more I’ve been doing my workouts outside I’ve just created a new data screen just for workouts. So I don’t look at that ‘power bar’ screen anymore.

Cheers,

Ben

1 Like

I’d asked this in another thread and Coach Isaiah suggested the plans may be designed to have to target a specific range of power within a zone, so I stopped zone-i-fying the workouts first. Working to smooth power is a goal anyway, so I just roll with the Garmin targets as presented and try to hit the middle. I now just keep my zones taped to the stem when new until I have the z2-3-4 break points memorized to make sure I generally stay within the ceiling/floor of the intended target’s zone. Zones are specific but still fuzzy, if you drift momentarily slightly into the next zone the fuel/oxygen mix is still similar on a scale to the last few watts behind it.

3 Likes

Anyone know what the symbol with 3 dots signafies at top of screen?

You have some kind of paired phone notification. Those are instructions for a 520, most others are probably pretty similar

Great ,thank you very much
1 Like