Garmin data screens

I vaguely recall on a Fascat podcast a mention of some advice on setting up your head unit data screens. I’ve tried a few searches on the forum and on the Fascat site but can’t seem to find anything? Was it just a suggested podcast topic or am I missing something? Have power and heart rate data and racing the medium range gravel events and rides.

Chris (Father) O’Leary

I’ll just let you know what I like.

Time, Power, heart rate, cadence, speed, distance. Honestly this is watch as I race. But other things that I recommend for those doing longer gravel events being on a second screen or to be aware of maybe TSS, average norm power, average heart rate or intensity factor. This way you know how hard you are going out and if you may need to dial back so you don’t go too hard. Medium range gravel you can go pretty hard for so maybe not as big of concern.

Some gravel events you may actually need the turn by turn on so you would have to have the map. UWIth my Garmin I can only have two things and I would use distance (so I know how far I have gone or got to go and power) However don’t over look heart rate as that can be a great indication of how hard the effort is since power can fluctuate so much. This is why one screen with average norm power / intensity factor would be a good thing to have.

I’m sure others have ideas as well what they like.

3 Likes

Great stuff thanks Jake

The first screen is what I have up for non-workout rides, like Saturday sweet spot freestyles with a TSS target or AMEX rides. The middle part puts up a running power line graph, it’s flat and grey in the screenshot because I wasn’t actually riding at the time but it fills in with the traditional color representing the zone you were in at the moment so you can quickly glance at how hard you’ve been going.

#2 for when a workout is running, the middle section shows the target range with a 3sec average, and the bottom one zooms into the interval currently working on and overlays a power line so you can see how evenly you’re pacing against the target power, kind of like the TrainerRoad workout screen in realtime. Time to go is for the current interval/lap and elapsed is so I know when half of the workout is done and it’s time to turn around and head back.

3 Likes

Nice Chad. Thanks a lot for the screen shots it brings the text to life. Chris

I am suprised we didn’t get a few more suggestions but maybe it’s been done to death elsewhere?

Anyways based off my own experience and Coach @Jake and @chad 's suggestions I now have a doozy race profile called the “JHAD” (thought that was better than The Chake : - / ) it’s a goldilocks blend of the 2 ; not too much and not too little … just right. I don’t want to see too much clutter or be chufflin across too many screens at full gas on a washboarded road (we call them corrugated down here).

I tried the battery save function on my garmin on a ride in the weekend. It did indeed save the battery but the numbers were never there when you needed them and having to take hand off bars to wake the head unit up wasn’t so good at times. In many ways not seeing the numbers whilst racing and going off RPE or gut feel isn’t a bad thing once you dial into it I guess. I know on my gravel group rides I’m never watching the data and later that night analysing my data I’m always heck of a blown away at just what I rode at ! And I’m still alive ! : - )

Have a great week

Chris (Father) O’Leary

1 Like

I basically use the same as @chad but with minor differences. Here is one example:

Custom No Workout Loaded

Don’t look very often when racing, but when I do its nice being able to quickly glance down and look at the colors in the 2 minute real-time power graph.

2 Likes

I am new to FASCAT and look forward to making the most of my 16 week Sweet Spot plan to prepare for a 12-hr road TT in November. I see you have added TSS to your garmin screen. Is that option listed under Power? I’ve been with another coach (3, actually, over the past five years) who never adequately explained TSS to me, so perhaps you can. I get that it’s an intensity #, but even tho I can see onscreen that my intervals line up in the green zone as I do them, my TSS at the end is often a disappointment b c it is lower than prescribed.
So I guess I’m saying, I’m not sure how I’d use it if I saw it onscreen…

Hey Dustyn,

Coach @jake did a beauty post on just how to do what you are asking my friend TSS Rides and Garmin Edge

Chris

1 Like

And another great description Understanding Training Values,etc on TSS and Training values by the @jake as well

Hope that helps @dustyn

Chris (Father) O’leary

Garmin overriding Big Cats trainingplan

It happened before, but now I encountered two nights in a row the same problem.
I upload the training from Trainingpeaks into my Garmin 1030.
When starting the Garmin the correct training is loaded and displayed.
I select “ride” and turn to my wife to kiss her good bye.
In this time the Garmin goes “black” in sleeping mode.
When I start the Garmin up again a different training appears to been loaded?!
Yesterday it was a recoverytraining which I missed the day before, tonight a complete different sweetspot training was loaded; not anywere to be found in my trainingplan in this week, the next or the week before.
Big cats enquete showed 52% of you galls and guys are using Garmin equipment.
Surely some of you must have encountered this problem and found a remedy?

This one is out of my league @kbolks1957 hopefully another member of the community can help you. There must be others out there who have experienced this?

Keep kissing the wife before you go riding though - it’s points in the bank

Good luck !

530 and never encountered that problem. Sleep mode is disabled on my computer.