FTP test during rest week in 18 week SS

I have just started the 18 week sweet spot plan. I will not be able to complete the entire plan consecutively due to work obligations. I will be stopping the plan after week 11, then taking 5 weeks break, then starting back up.

I have 2 questions
First, when is the best time to take an FTP test during a regeneration week and when would be the best place in training to do this?

Second, what type of workouts should I do when I am in the 5 weeks plan break? I will only have maybe 45 minutes 2 or 3 times a week, and one day off where I may be able to do a longer ride.

Thanks.
Nick

Hi Nick!

No reason to do a FTP test every regeneration period. Just do the ones planned in the test. You should have one at the start of the 18 week plan. I would than suggest you to one for one of your last workouts before you have to take your break. This way you can see where you are. Ideally this would come on a Saturday workout after a rest day. Then you can do one when you get back after 5 weeks off.

So with just having 45 minutes to train you need to make the most of your time. Just do a ton of sweet spot, sweet spot burst, or criss cross training (go from sweet spot to zone 5 or 6 for 30 - 60 seconds). Warm up 5 - 10 minutes. Do 20 - 25 minutes of effort, cool down. With only riding 45 minutes and 2 or 3 times a week you don’t want to just do zone 2. Just get on the bike and get to work. You should see workouts in the plan you can choose. Just take out most of the zone 2 time, interval sets you don’t have time for and that is what you will do.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for your help. I will follow this plan of action and get some shorter high intensity workouts in during my limited time off.

Nick