Did I Choose the Right Plan?

Should one segue into SS Plan? I should have asked first.
I started the 16 Week Intermediate 8-12 hours a week plan, but I’d recently been riding 13 hours/week (5,200 miles this year so far; 7,500 last year) training for a hilly century that was canceled due to hurricane Ian.
I’ve been riding at the lower end of my Sweet Spot, plus or minus, for a few years I learned from my FTP test. I’m 66, have few flat route options so I’ve been chasing speed on mostly hilly routes.
Sweet Spot has me riding on just the flats and I feel my climbing fitness will decline. I know I can add in climbing but what does Fascat recommend?

1 Like

So here is a training tip and podcast that would really help you. It’s about timing and planning your whole year out. You shouldn’t do the same type of training all year round. You need to mix up. So there is a time to do sweet spot training, there is a time to do hill intervals, a time for strength and so on.

Sorry your hilly century was canceled! Let’s say your next event is not till next year. Look at our 30 week off season plan. Though since you have our 16 week sweet spot plan (part of the 30 week plan) you may just want to do the foundation and weight training for cyclist plan now. Then transition into the 16 week sweet spot plan, then start an interval plan such as a climbing interval plan or hilly Fondo plan. That will help you keep up your fitness with climbing and top you off for any event.

1 Like