Altitude Camp Everything You kneed to know

Hi there

I was wondering do you have an altitude program/protocol that I could get access to. Something that gives information related to training at altitude, duration , hows to do it , when , what to expect etc.

Also information on altitude tent or use of hypoxic generators for turbo training

I am a 39yr old road racer.I train with power and hr and would like to get from current 4.5w/kg to 5w/kg for 20mins.

Thanks

Sean

Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 09.47.39.png

Give this podcast a listen - its with Dr. Robert Chapman - an altitude training expert from USA Track and Field. I learned alot from this podcast and they cover many of your questions.

One question I would have for you is what are you training for, what altitude do you live at and what can you utilize altitude training [time at altitude and]

Every athlete I have ever worked with that tried an altitude tent couldn’t sleep. So while they were getting some altitude benefits that way - they weren’t recovering at all and they in fact got slower. Its a common joke that pro athletes will sell you their altitude tent and let you figure out what they learned is that the benefits look great on paper but due to the lack of sleep they are highly ineffective.

Altitude rooms are another story…

You might find this training tip from Coach @Jake helpful too:
https://fascatcoaching.com/tips/the-effect-of-racing-at-altitude/

1 Like

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply I will check this out. I am training to road race just to try to be as fast/strong as I can and I think this could be an area to look into.

I live at sea level with limited access to altitude although I can possible get access to an apartment which is 1600msl I don’t know is this high enough to be of benefit.I could possible get to 1 camp year for say 2 weeks or so as part of my holidays.

Yes I hear what you are saying about the tent and this is of concern as I am only amateur so sleep is very important with a full time job and trying to balance training etc.

I will check out the link and try to lean some more, appreciate your mail

Thanks
Sean

1 Like

Frank,
Really great article thanks for sharing.
Sean

1 Like