Accepting Your Questions for the live Q& A Podcast May 30th here!

Hello all,

@FRANK and I are taking the week off from podcasting, but will be back next week with another installment of Ask FasCat, so post your questions here!

Mid-Season Break. How do you know when/if to take one? What to do in terms of training (complete rest?) during the break? How to proceed after the break?

4 Likes

That is a good one @chadjfischer - I used to have a mid-season break training tip but I can’t find it at the moment. Standby and thanks for the suggestion!

How about altitude training, more specifically train high, live low. I can drive up to our local ski resort at 6000 feet and do my intervals each week. It’s a relatively short drive (40mins). The climb I would use is about 12 mins at 5-6%. Additionally there is very little traffic at the resort in the summer, and added benefit. Would there be much gain for this? I understand the pros do this the opposite, but I’ve found very little information on train high, live low.

Yea, there’s no real physiological benefit to training high and living low - its the opposite, sorry about that. But rides up high in the mountains sure are bad ass!

1 Like

Thanks @FRANK I may just do a few of these workouts anyway to avoid traffic, plus it’s cooler up there in the summer. The change of scenery is nice too.

1 Like

it certainly is cooler up there which helps especially when its blazing hot down here. One thing to be aware of is the decrease in power output bc of the decrease in oxygen. It’s about 1% per 1,000 ft gained, estimated.

So if you are doing power based intervals and are wondering why sweet spot or tempo feels so hard - its the altitude. Save that type of work for down low an do your endurance work like TSS rides up high. Win-win

1 Like

“it’s about 1% per 1,000 ft gained”
thanks @FRANK, good to know.

1 Like

My question is about how you recommend recovering from a weekend or week of more intense training, that is beyond the norm for the individual. Perhaps you could talk about what you did recently for Haute route. Presumably you taper for a week before and recover for a week after? That can feel like a lot of rest. Also for @Jackson recovery nutrition in the days after a particularly epic ride or event. It sometimes feels like it takes me 5 days to recover my carb stores after a particularly epic ride like that. Is that normal? I feel nauseas but then feel better when I have carbs so I just eat and eat and eat until I feel better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just signed up for your Gravel Crusher Training. I’ve been sweet spotting for the last two months. I get the long simulation rides; but if I’m not looking to “win” the race and just do better than years past, are the specific interval workouts going to make my endurance better (or should I continue doing 3x20 sweet spot and adding minutes to that)? I’m looking to finish in 6 hours this year.

not sure if I understand the question. All you have to do is follow the plan to get faster #FtFP - trust the process and the plan - we designed it to help you get faster whether you want to win or just improve - the training is the same.

I guess it was more of a question of the turtle vs the hare. I go out hard and then struggle to maintain and by the time I’m coming back up the mountain, I’m drained. So I thought that just sticking with Sweet Spot would be the ticket but I will FThP and the workouts. Thanks Frank

1 Like

I just finished Sweet Spot 3 and I’m getting ready to start the Road Racing Intervals plan. Should I insert a week off in between the two plans? And how long should I schedule between the end of the RR interval plan and my “A” race?

2 Likes

Love the gravel plans, they totally give me power for the whole race. My problem is I am bad at really fast starts up 5-10 min climbs…which often causes me to lose contact with the front group (a lot of which I pick off on later climbs). Where should I add in some high intensity start training to the gravel plan? Maybe substitute the Tuesday workouts with something similar to the mtb start workouts?

Thanks!

1 Like

I basically have the same question after starting an ATP for my 2020 season. I haven’t purchased the Intervals for Crits yet but I do have the 32 week Strength and Sweet Spot plan. The 32 week plan ends with a 541 TSS week. I’m not sure what the Interval for Crits plan starts at so curious if I should add a week in the ATP between the two plans or just expect to jump in straight away.

Last call to submit questions for our Q & A tomorrow! Please get them in by 8pm tonight!

Had a race at altitude this weekend and from what I hear it’s either take the time to adapt before the race or show up and do the race in a day. Any tips for someone like myself who can’t really justify taking the weeks to adapt for an amateur mtb xc race? drink more water? Race as quickly as possible? lower power output? Thanks guys.

2 Likes

I’m about at the end of the SS plan and about to switch to the California Death Ride Plan. As I’m inside of 6 weeks, should I skip the FTP test the last day of the SS plan and go ahead and start the CDR plan next week? I use WKO4 software which has already estimated my increased FTP which I feel comfortable with.

Also, I’ve not purchased the CDR plan yet. I see it on Training Peaks but I don’t see it on the Fascat site. The podcast discount doesn’t work on Training Peaks. Can you post the plan on Fascat?

On a (recent?) podcast, I thought @FRANK was talking about the Cycling Hierarchy of Needs, maybe somewhat like Maslow. :smile: It might have been the Winning In The Kitchen, but cant remember.

My chicken scratch notes had the following, but is this listed/documented somewhere?

Do you have a plan?
Are you following the plan?
Are you resting/sleeping?
Are you winning in the kitchen?
other?!?!?!?