Adjusting FTP In TP After Field Test

Hello again coaches!

I’m following the 32 week plan and yesterday I did my prescribed Field Test during the 2nd week in SS2, which is also my regeneration week.

According to my test, I increased my FTP from 305 to 315. The last time I did an FTP test was on November 24th 2020. Both tests were done in the same location, only the temp in Nov was 48, and the temp yesterday was 90. I originally started this plan last year, but got covid in January so I stopped everything. Fortunately, I did all the weights right before getting sick but I am not sure how much that really benefited me anyway. After much rest, I started back with SS1 on June 7th and have been sticking with the plan since then, hitting all the goals, turning everything green.

My test went very well and I am happy to see progress, but I have to remind myself that the majority of the progress has been created in the last 8 weeks of work. This makes me excited to finish SS2 and SS3.

Since I have a higher FTP now, I have adjusted my power zones in TP and I now see my future workouts have adjusted as well, but I am not sure what else I need to do inside of Training Peaks to reflect this new number.

Does the PMC adjust the projected CTL of the remaining workouts in the plan automatically, or do I have to recalculate inside there.

Also, as a side question, I just noticed my ATL constant was set at 7. I have never adjusted that and it was set like that from the beginning. I am 43 years old, should I set that number to 5 instead? Also, my heartrate threshold on the 20 min test yesterday was 166. I watched the “Masters CTL #'s in Training Peaks” video on YouTube the other day and Frank was talking about adjusting that based on age. Is that where that is adjusted? Is there anything else I should be doing in TP while I am at it? The reason I ask is because I just activated my free premium so I am seeing all the awesome data now. Besides adjusting zones and adding the plans to the calendar, everything else is pretty much default.

Thanks for any help on this topic.

Mike

2 Likes

Had no response so, bump. :grin:

just to give it a bump, strong work on your FTP increase!!

I have used TP and WKO for years. Never really felt the need to adjust ATL duration etc. It seemed to correlate well to my sensations and I never felt like I was blindsided by sudden hidden form or sneaky fatigue that the numbers didn’t indicate.

PMC only seems to indicate what work has been done, not predictive. The calendar is where I usually see the predicted loads/TSB based on assigned workouts.