Oats..., does it matter?

@Lacey_Rivette I have been wondering why you choose rolled oats over steel cut oats? I’ve always been told by nutritionists in the past to go with steel cut over rolled.

1 Like

Hey @marshalltaylor!

Steel cut oats are great. I have included rolled oats in our plans on the basis that:

• They can be cooked in 10 minutes or less
  • Are generally easier to find
  • More familiar (especially to athletes new to winning in the kitchen)
  • Easier to digest - Most of our athletes train in the mornings. Steel cut oats take a little longer to digest, meaning that it could cause GI upset if athletes are not eating them at least 2.5-3 hours before.

If you train in the evenings and prefer steel cut oats, I say heck yea… eat them! They are not necessarily any more nutritious than rolled oats though. The primary difference is their digestion rate :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Steel cut tastes so much better than rolled oats!

Cooked steel cut oatmeal keeps great in the fridge. I’ve never gone beyond a week as I finish it in that time but 7 days for sure with no loss of taste or texture. 2 minutes in the microwave and its as good as fresh made (actually quicker than the 2:30 it takes to make “instant” steel cut oatmeal). A double batch gives me breakfast for 5-6 days.

3 Likes