FTP Test - ideal Form?

Completed Beginner SS2 last week, FTP test planned for tomorrow (WED) and projected Fitness-Fatigue-Form is 62-59-1. If I wait until Thursday it is 61-50-14. As of now Tuesday afternoon, I am feeling a bit fatigued and wonder if I should rest (or easy spin) on Wednesday and take FTP test on Thursday when Fatigue is lower and form is higher. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi @stevehamilton100 - yea you can do that. What I’d suggest is using today as an active recovery or openers day and then testing Wednesday. You don’t want to take 3 days easy just to have good #'s for a test.

That’s focusing on the testing and not what you are training for (what is that?) On the other hand if your goal is to set a new higher FTP then yea, take another rest day and do openers Wednesday and test Thursday. If your FTP test was your goal, heck you could do an entire rest week, really bump up your TSB and then test when you are really feeling good!

1 Like

Thanks for the input (nudge) @FRANK. Completed FTP test this morning, bumped up from 257 to 268 (~4%), happy with it considering my head was desperately trying to talk me out of it. Happy/content for today as each FTP testing session is a learning opportunity for me on pre-fueling and pacing. I paced well, started ~270 for first 5 minutes, hovered in 280’s in middle 10 minutes, and able to bump into low 300’s for final 90 seconds before slight nausea set in :slight_smile:.

Follow the plans folks, they work if you work 'em. #FTFP. Kudos to you and your team for the fantastic plans, website, and forum. Thanks again. I am going to look into the coaching plans also, since I am looking at participating in a medley of events this fall (Cx and Gravel races).

2 Likes

Nice work @stevehamilton100 ! Giving you the “Tip of the Iceberg” medal of improvement
Tip%20of%20the%20Iceberg

2 Likes