Fascat, TrainingPeaks & MyFitnessPal

So I jumped on the Fascat train early this year and I am so glad I did. Now that I am locking into the Offseason (Frank’s OnSeason!) programs I am really committed to learn more about my nutrition and monitor it more closely. Now that I am 54 years young I do not recover like I used to and feel like it was a big limiter with my ability to handle more workload.

I am sure I am late to the party on this one as its been around for a while, but I started using the MyFitnessPal/TrainingPeaks integration and it has been very eye opening. I know there are some real discrepancies in some of the nutrition levels of reported foods so beware, but the integration feature right on your calendar is pretty cool.

Was wondering if any of you have advice on using the integration, the good vs bad? Would be great to hear some real world experiences. My guess is that once I learn what works best for me that my interest in logging everything will fade a bit, but for now it is educational.

Any thoughts on the topic?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @PowerHungry !

The Pros:
As a Dietitian, I often will use this integration feature as a learning tool for athletes – just like you are doing. It is helpful for understanding macro intake (i.e. heavier on the carbs on longer training days) as well understanding when intakes may have been too low/high in comparison to training load.
Logging your foods can also help you to be more mindful of what you are putting in your body and how you feel and perform when eating certain foods.

The Cons:
When looking at trainingpeaks, it doesnt show exactly what you have eaten for that day. It only shows the macros – So when looking at it retrospectively can make it tough to tell the quality of your meals for that day. Moreover while it is a great tool for tracking your intake, I do not recommend athletes log their calories on a daily basis. This can be quite burdensome and for some, may even lead to disordered eating habits (especially for those that are prone to analyzing every bit of data). That lack of adequate intake combined with the stress that may be created around meals, will result in suboptimal performance and in extreme cases can impact their social life/family life.

My philosophy is that while your diet is absolutely a factor in your performance and overall health – food is also part of our culture as humans. It is frequently a part of our social life and as such, is meant to be enjoyed, which can be hard to do if you become hyper-focused on eating a “perfect” diet (quotes there because who really defines what is a perfect diet? – there isnt even a set definition for the term healthy).
Thus, to win in the kitchen does not mean that you eat perfectly at every single meal. If you have listened to the podcast you have probably heard @Jackson mention the 80/20 rule and the reason for that is just as I noted above. Food is meant to be enjoyed and shouldn’t stress you out. Aim to eat nutrient dense, unprocessed foods the majority of the time… and if a friend wants to go out to eat every once and awhile, go and do your best to use your knowledge of how to win in the kitchen to make the best choice you can while you are eating out.

Sorry for the elongated response, clearly this is a topic I am quite passionate about! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you Lacey for the detailed response as it is greatly appreciated! It’s posts like these why working with everyone at Fascat is worth it. It is so easy to get lost in the weeds so to speak with points of data but you all have a way of making it work in the real world. Oh, and welcome to the Fascat Team! :+1:

2 Likes