End of SS 2... SS3 or Intervals... Summer is coming!

Tomorrow is my final Field Test for the end of SS2 (+SS1).

Over the last 12 weeks my FTP has increased about 15 %. I’m living in Melbourne, Australia and we’re still in lockdown for at least another 3 to 4 weeks :frowning: So I can’t wait to get out on the road again and want to be in tip top shape to take on some of my favourite climbs when we come out of lockdown.

Question is more SS or focus more on the build… or?

I’d also like to know what the value add I could get from an analysis of my power data from the last 12 weeks?

Thanks.

That is incredible @anthony.franzmann! Sounds like you have been #ftfp’ing!:raised_hands:t3:
So crazy that you guys are still in quarantine, but sounds like you are making the best of it.

For what you will gain by getting a power analysis here are just a few things our coaches can look at:

1. If you will ride on a particular course that you will have a race on. You can get an idea of the power demands and maybe training efforts you should focus on, or a specific training plan.
  2. Look at the power of a group ride. See how it fits into the plan. Can also look to for trends of fatigue in increased heart rate, lower cadence and etc. Can compare a similar ride from month to month to see improvements or weaknesses.
  3. Look at your performance manager chart. See if you had built a nice base, are getting proper rest, see when you are feeling your best. Of course #FtFP will pretty much put you on track.
  4. See if you are completing intervals correctly. Looking at Vo2 max efforts to make sure your are not starting to hard and fading, looking at burst workouts to see if you are maintaining a solid effort between, on anaerobic efforts making sure you are completing all the intervals at the proper effort, maybe see if you should do or not do a 3rd set and etc.

Really the possibilities are endless. But it’s just a matter of knowing what you want looked at.

Hey @Lacey_Rivette,

Thanks for your comprehensive insights into power data analysis.

I have a few specifics in mind which might be worth further discussion.

However, before I get there, my SS2 finished today so I’m wondering if I should be making the switch from ‘base to race’? And if so, what my next plan should be to help me best improve my PRs on some of my favourite climbs, hopefully 4 to 6 weeks down the track?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks again. :sunglasses:

1 Like

If you are looking to switch from base to race and want to PR segments, Phils Strava Training Plans are the way to go.

You could also opt for our hill climbing intervals plan. Both of those will be 6 weeks in duration!

Though if you are planning to race next year, it is more ideal to be doing off season work right now and building a solid foundation for next year :slight_smile: