Cyclocross Plan Adjustment

@msande43 you are all set. Moved some things around to add in a rest week and then a taper.

Enjoy and keep crushing it!

1 Like

Thank you, @Isaiah!

Your edits bring a lot of confidence. So psyched to crush!

1 Like

Hey @Isaiah!

Been enjoying the plan but unfortunately I have caught a bit of a bug and my results are suffering. I am not full blown “sick” but feel like my body is not responding to the high intensity for racing and intervals. I have a non competitive weekend coming up and I need some help navigating this to recover and and try to build back up for the last 3 race days I have planned this year.

I feel like I should take an extra rest day for sure, or should rest until I feel 100%.

Let me know what you think !

Thanks,
Michael

1 Like

Morning!

Sorry to hear that you have come down sick with something! My recommendation would be to skip the next two days of training to really give your body a chance to truly recharge and clear the bug. This combined with todays day off will then allow you to hopefully come back strong for the weekend, ease in, and then still get in the good training build from the weekend. From there you can still jump into your taper and be firing well for your A race weekend next week. I moved a few things around this week to help but if you stick to that plan and everything goes well then you should be all set to continue on. Let me know if the bug sticks around and you need more time to manage it.
Even if you do start to feel 100% I would give it till Thursday to make sure. Since you are so close to your A race its important to clear it fast. Get lots of rest and hydrate really well.

1 Like

Thank you!! Frustrating for sure but this helps!

I think some extra rest will take care of it.

Hey @Isaiah!

The good new is that I have recovered from my sickness. The bad news is, life happened this Sunday and I had to miss my workout. Since I am tapering for my “A” event this weekend. Do you recommend a workout today (Monday) or Tuesday? I feel like 3 days off will be too much time off. Love to hear you thoughts.

-Michael

@msande43

Ya I would do something to get the legs back under you but not add fatigue. I put in a basic workout for you that will do just that.

Enjoy and good luck this weekend!

Hello, I am on the Nationals CX plan, I’m 64. I have added help@fascat… as my coach to TP. I did Tabatas today (Wed 11/20) in the rain on a dirt road. Not sure if I hit the targets, I did not average 170% FTP. Downloading the workout to Garmin, it converts to a range from 153% to 187%. Of the 24 intervals, maybe 3 to 6 were close to 144%, the rest were lower. I was going all out. The last time I did Tabatas was on August 28. I think TP shows similar results; maybe closer to 153% then. Can you look at my TP on those 2 days and some of the CX races that I’ve done. I have power on 3 of my bikes, not the singleSpeed Cx bike and MTB. So the race days will have one race w/ power, and the single speed w/o. Another day that might be useful to look at is 11/13, last Wednesday SweetSpot Bursts that I moved from Sunday in order to race.

This week the plan is scheduled as lighter to be rested for next weeks training camp. I changed this Saturday’s workout to be openers, and Sunday’s to be a CX race w/ results not important. Next week plan is 727 TSS, I think that would easily be my largest load of the year. There were 12 weeks this year that I was over 600 TSS, All of them were before the end of August. Since then, my big weeks are in the 500 TSS range. I don’t think it would be wise to extend beyond 500 or so that close to natz. I added a run workout this Thursday bc i couldnt do them due to heavy rain after Wednesday Tabatas. I also did a 3 hr L2 on Friday the 22nd.

I likely will race Saturday 11/30 in the middle of the block. I don’t mind doing the camp Thur and Friday and not be rested for the Sat race. I will still get 150 TSS doing 2 races including Singlespeed, on both 11/24 and 11/30. I’m fine w/ doing the endurance day on 12/1.

The week of December 2, I think 2 days of efforts will be plenty, a local underground CX race on Thur under the stars, and something on Saturday before flying out in the evening. I’ve got too much in TP for that week now.

PS: In the Power Profile Chart in TP, for the last 90 days, 20’ power has gone down 15% compared to the last 180 days. That is probably expected w/ the focus on shorter efforts.

Hopefully you can help dial me in. Please feel free to move and suggest workouts.

I appreciate your effort,
Bob Willcox

Hey @Isaiah !

Okay maybe the last edit of my season!

I removed the race that was on December 1st since there is no race that day. And my final race weekend is only on race on Dec 8. Can you move some workouts around to push me through to perform at my last 2019 CX race on Dec 8th?

Context: I may be doing the shorter workouts on a trainer as I had a crash in my last race and my heel is pretty bruised and on the same foot, my big toe nail is black - saying this because I can probably do some controlled workouts to maintain my fitness while my foot heals. Right now I wouldn’t be able to run/ jump on and off the bike. Hopefully over the next two weeks it comes back to normal and I can shred one last time in 2019.

Thanks in Advance!

Michael

Hey Bob,

Sorry for the delay in getting you your updates. Looks like you caught us on the weekend but I want to make sure you get this update before the holiday.

For the training camp this week I would recommend using predicted TSS to figure out where your fatigue will be at coming out of the mini camp. This will allow you to easily see where your fatigue rate will be (and thus also takes into account current fitness level off of CTL).
With your higher IF level that will come out of the race day on Saturday I have shortened Fridays workout for you. This will allow you to still access higher (not totally fatigued) neuromuscular power and have fun racing.
The following week looks good and having rest before travel is a good thing to keep sickness away.
Since you need to do more of a recovery day on the 8th, its worth your while to add that TSS in other places to keep your sharp on race day (Ive made those changes). I would encourage you keep three days on that week to keep from going into too fresh to race week and thus flat. Its wise of you to not want to overdo it, but on the metrics side you are sitting in a really good spot
On the metrics side you are going into nationals at a +11TSB which should have you in a good spot. Use the openers and course recon to feel out the legs and if you need to add on to open the legs up then do so.
Finally the PPC is irrelevant in this case as you are not targeting 20min power so don’t worry about that.

Enjoy and good luck at cross nationals!! Let us know how it goes.

Isaiah

Hey Michael,

Bummer about your crash man. Sorry to hear that. As Im sure you know its hard to maintain top end fitness with just steady state efforts. But I guess we will do our best here.
I have made adjustments to your training to get you into a good spot going into your final race. Do what you can here with the injury.
Hopefully you are feeling much better by next week and can get in the higher intensity work to prime the legs. Good luck and heal up!

Isaiah

1 Like

Thank You @Isaiah for the good advice. We have big rain coming Wednesday afternoon in SoCal thru Thanksgiving. In order to meet the good weather today, I moved the CX block up two days to start today. I did the first day of the block today and plan to do the 2nd day on Wednesday morning. I was thinking of doing Tuesday’s planned “CX Threshold & Anaerobic 1 minuters” on Thursday either on the trainer or a spin bike at the gym (on my own). If rain comes early I could prolly do Wednesday’s tempo intervals inside as well (2 hours). The SweetSpot w/ bursts went well today, and I met the TSS (I did go over 40’ to get it). I made these changes in TP.

I’m assuming swapping the order of the w/o’s around this week due to the rain is OK? The shorter w/o’s will be better on the rainy days inside. I know it’s always good to ride your own bike on the trainer, but what do you think about the spin bikes w/ power meters at the gym? It’s a nicer environment bc I haven’t ridden trainer at home in years.

I enjoyed the podcast you were in, esp the talk of running.

ya weather is always a tough one. Right now outside of your mini camp its all about just keeping the legs primed and sharp. So yes inside for that is all good, just try to keep a mini periodization aka not taking too many days off in a row. Your own bike is best of course to keep injury away as its fit to to you and depending on the spin bike it can be close to impossible to replicate your fit. if at all possible I would stick to your own bike since you are so close to your A race. If thats not possible measure your bike and then try to get the spin bike as close as possible.

Good luck and have a good week!

@Isaiah Thank you for all your help this season! I went further than I thought possible.

But for now I need to cancel my coaching subscription, however in my profile on the FasCat site there are no active subscriptions for me to cancel. Probably because I entered my email wrong when I signed up.

Can you help me cancel my coaching subscription so I am no longer billed?