10 Week Weight Lifting Plan Overview [GYM-Based] : Please READ

So that pdf should open @paul.winkeler . When you click on it, it should download to your computer. That will not work though if you have popups/downloads blocked within your internet settings. You should be able to adjust those settings and it will open up, but just in case it doesn’t, I went ahead and emailed the pdf to you so that you can view it :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Lacey - popups are not blocked, instead, when I clicked on the link I ended up with a file called “raw.txt” which was completely empty.
I do have the proper PDF now, thanks to your timely email!

Thanks Lacey
Just read the PDF and being new to weight lifting I have one question: doing 4 sets of 8 reps for each exercise makes sense but in what order? Do I do all squat sets in a row and then all presses and then all curls; or is the idea to do a single squat set followed by a single press set and a single curl set before going back to the squats?

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Just to be sure… what is one set? 8 squats, 8 presses and 8 curls or just for example just squats and after finish with squats then move to presses?

I cannot find how long needs to be rest between the sets

Hi,

Starting my 10-weeks weight lifting program on Monday.

Any advise on doing muscle tension intervals or sprint intervals on the same day as lifting?

Best
Kasper

If we are doing muscle tension intervals outside can we extend pauses between intervals?

I have a few 10ish minutes hilla but they are separated about 20 minutes…

Started my first day of hyptertrophy phase today. RMs are 225 squat, 400 press, and 115 curl. I was able to do the squats as prescribed. On the press I had to come down 10-20 lbs to reach the 10 reps. On the curls I also had to lower the weight to reach the full 6x10 sets. Should I lower my RM on press and curl or do fewer reps at the prescribed weight? Not sure which is more important the weight or the reps in the hypertrophy phase.

Also, @Lacey_Rivette, any suggestions on nutrition pre- and post-workout? I’m very comfortable with the on-bike nutrition, but am at a bit of a loss for the weightlifting phase. Thanks!

2 Likes

I started hyptertrophy phase today, squats and leg press were okay but I couldn’t do the leg curls as prescribed. I’m putting that down to testing my 1 RM yesterday when I was fresh , when usually I go to the gym straight after work, not ideal but it’s all I can do. I was surprised how much I lifted on the curl yesterday so maybe it was a freak effort. I’m going to knock 10% of my 1 RM for the curl and hopefully this will enable me to get all the sets/reps done. Would be great to hear what the coaches think though.

Not a coach, but after looking around the internet it looks like the goal for hypertrophy is to reach at or near muscle fatigue (high reps and short rests) to stimulate the muscle fiber growth adaptations. I’m still trying to get a good feel for the important parts of the strength phase. I did my first strength session today, and it felt easier than I thought it would. FasCat does a great job explaining the theory behind their cycling workouts. This usually allows me to make intelligent changes when life gets in the way (i.e. I know what to prioritize). It would be great if there was a similar explanation for the weight lifting plan so that us newbies could adjust the plans depending on feel rather than a potentially inaccurate RM. (PS @lancs.roadie, love your squirrel icon!)

2 Likes

Goal of hypertrophy is to build muscle:

1 Like

What after 10 weeks when we start with SS and want to do at least one gym maintaining workut per week?

Question, just looking at planning my plan, are there regeneration weeks in this plan, if so is it the same as other plans with 3 weeks build 1 week regeneration? Trying to plan regen week during Xmas break. Thanks.

Cheers,
Gavin

1 Like

Hi @Gavin - there are no traditional regeneration weeks in the resistance training. Its straight thru once you start.

That said, I have had athletes take breaks during the holidays for travel. It is advisable to keep lifting per the plan thru the holidays unless travel prevents FtFP’ing :muscle:

1 Like

I’m in the power phase of 10 week weight training. The jump squats are easy to understand; get down, explode upward into the air. But the leg curls and leg press in this phase feel so effortless, it’s difficult to gauge for myself how I should feel after performing them. I’ve never done activity-specific weight training before, so maybe that’s just how it is? Any thoughts on this?

1 Like

Hi Frank! What about a regeneration week after the 10 weeks? I wasn’t sure if I should take a week off or just jump right into Sweet Spot base. Thanks!

You won’t need one - you may go straight into your sweet spot training and then begin your periodization with the rest weeks :muscle:

1 Like

Thanks @FRANK my challenge is given the way Christmas falls this year, here in Toronto there will be 2 days (Dec 27, & 28th - I see now as I purchased my plan today TY Fascat :muscle: and planning to start this Monday and looking fwd at the workouts in TP) I won’t have access to the gym as it’ll be closed.

The sessions I’m referring to if I start this Monday looking ahead are -
Hypertrophy Heavy Dec 27th
Hypertrophy Light Dec 28th

How would you suggest I handle these?

Thanks
Gavin

Hi Frank,
I missed week 3 of the 30 week off-season plan due to being completely wiped out by the covid booster shot. Is there anything I should be doing extra in week 4 to make up for this? Just started light lifting this week.
Thanks!

Hey Fascat Coaches!

AS long as my recovery is good, I assume I can add more z2 during my 10 week program (either to the long ride or at the end of an MTI day I assume). Is this correct / advisable? Thanks!

1 Like