Period and watts

Hey @lindsay.marx !
I can absolutely promise you that you are not alone here and I am very glad that you brought this up as it is something we need normalize talking about. As Stacy Sim’s says… “Women are not small men, stop eating and training like one.” That is a bold statement, but it is true. Your diet and training plan need to be tailored to your cycle to use your hormones to your benefit, not your detriment.

Its great that your rest week falls on the week of your period, but even then you may need to adjust your plan some. If you are having pms really bad, it is unlikely that you will be able to put out any power. So if your plan calls for intervals, reduce them by either intensity (e.g. do tempo instead of SS) or simply stick to zone 2/3 and add in a little time if you can to achieve a similar TSS score. Ideally you do not want to be racing during this phase when your progesterone and estrogen are high, as this has many impacts on performance which I will include details on below… but one of them is lower pain tolerance. If you are racing during this time (also known as the luteal phase), know that mental toughness will go a long way! You can also improve performance by consuming more carbs during and immediately after training , increasing protein intake both before and after training, increasing fluid/electrolytes and using caffeine to improve focus/reaction time and to reduce RPE.

I am so passionate about educating our Lady FasCats on this and showing them that they CAN perform well despite their cycles… that I stayed up late last night to make a chart to share with you all that will help you understand your cycle and can be used to tailor your training so that you take advantage of when you are at your best :slight_smile:

7 Likes