Crusher in the Tushar-Tire Choice for a Roadie

Looking for recommendations for tires for Crusher, as 2021 will be my inaugural ride. I’ve participated in a few gravel races, but nothing with the climbing and descending of Crusher. My background is road with no MTB or cyclocross experience, so, although I am improving with experience, handling is not my forte. I think the FasCat team is sponsored by Panaracer, so not sure if the SS is adequate since there is a good amount of pavement or if the SK would be a better choice with my background/experience, assuming dry conditions. Thanks.

35mm GravelKings SK’s at least with sidewall protection - the gravel is deep and speeds are high after the first climb .

Use tread - for the Col de Crusher. A SS will slip out if you get out of the saddle (steep and loose)

I think I cover tires somewhere in this pod:

Thanks for the response. Podcast was very helpful as well for a first timer-will watch it again closer to the race.

1 Like

Would this still be your recommendation? Currently running 44mm WTB Byways and trying to figure out if those would be fine or if its worth making the change (like the original poster, most of my training has been on the trainer and road so wouldnt say my bike handling skills are something to brag about). Thanks for the help and the content you guys continue to put out!