Winning in the Kitchen

@FRANK - I’ve been trying to go with the winning in the kitchen breakfast with the white rice (1/3-1/2 cup cooked). I find that after about a week I start to get bloating and inflammation in my belly and gut. I’ve also tried brown rice in the past and have the same effect.

Two questions:

1. Is this a side effect of rice?
  2. Is there an alternative grain/carb that you’d recommend?

Thanks!

Hi there @ibike - let me see if I can help and I’ll also page @Jackson in here to.

So as far as I know there is no side effect of rice - it is non inflammatory (no gluten)

We also advocate sweet potatoes and quinoa + steel oats (oatmeal). Perhaps one of those treats you better.

I will say the bloating is more likely to be all the vegetables and greens you are eating - especially if this is new to you. You could also try reducing your green and vegetable portions by 25% and see if that doesn’t help in the short term. Then as your gut adapts gradually increase back up to 1 cup of vegetable and healthy wad of greens :broccoli::leafy_green::green_salad:

Bet @Jackson will have some thoughts too!

Hey @ibike, I echo what @FRANK said about the veggies and greens. It likely isn’t the white rice unless you have a sensitivity, white rice is one of the easiest foods to digest and is often given to patients with serious GI disorders! But it’s definitely possible you could be having some trouble with it. So perhaps try swapping it out for quinoa or potatoes, but I’m guessing it’s the bump up in fiber content you’re getting with the rice - such as the broccoli, greens, brussels, etc. so maybe back off a little with that stuff as it takes time for the gut to adapt to eating high amounts of fiber.

Also, what else are you eating during the day/week? It could be something else unless the only thing you’ve added to your normal diet is white rice. Hope that helps!
Jackson

1 Like

Thanks guys. I’ve been eating plant-based for the past 5 years, with a couple of those years being vegan. The only real change to my diet was adding in the rice. I largely eat:

• oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast
  • mixed veggies and spinach with chicken or salmon for lunch and dinner. I was using the spinach as the base and recently swapped some of that with the rice
  • snacks - apples/bananas and some raw almonds

I drink coffee/tea

I’ll try the other options. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

The biggest thing I see with your diet @ibike is that you want to have the first 5 food categories in every meal

Called ‘exchanges’ by nutritionist or categories by us here:

1 Like