Post ride meal, I need ideas

Whats everyone favorite post hard ride recovery meal (at home, not at a race)? I’m all about eating a lot of veggies, but due to high fiber, I hear they are not optimal for right after a hard ride as they fill you up and may cause you to not get what you need fast enough. So rice and a protein is good, but what else?

Hey @humunuku - we really like the Chipotle Burrito Bowl Recipe @Lacey_Rivette put together here and the one that’s in our Winning in the Kitchen Meal Plan:

1 Like

The meal frank suggested is great, depending on the duration of your ride you may need to bump up the amount of rice you use (add more carbs based on your needs)!
If you have stomach issues often after those hard rides, opt for a smoothie directly after your ride and sip on that while you make your rice bowl. Here is an easy smoothie recipe:

• 1 small, ripe banana (preferably frozen)
  • 3/4 cup Silk + Protein chocolate milk
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter or powdered peanut butter
  • 2 pitted dates
  • 3-4 tbsp protein powder (the brand vega is good)
  • Handful of ice
  • Pinch of table salt
  • Pinch of cinnamon if you like!

This is around 350 calories, 50g of carbs and 20g of protein which will kickstart replacing those glycogen stores and repairing the muscles you just demolished :raised_hands:t3:
Follow this with that burrito bowl and you are killing your post workout nutrition!

Note: This is only really needed for rides > 2.5 hours

4 Likes

Hi Lacy - could this be used as a bridge sort of speak before lunch? Say I was up early, have come coffee a banana, maybe add a little honey or maple syrup depending on efforts. Hope on the bike for a 2-3hr (gels, blocks, rice cakes on the bike depending on intensity of ride) ride get home and it’s 9-9:30am have the above smoothing then lunch at noon which would be lately chicken fried rice or a type of rocket lettuce wrap?

Most definitely @jdr365! After hard efforts (especially if you have another hard training session that day or the following day), you want to get some fuel in your body to promote optimal recovery ASAP. It doesnt necessarily have to be a smoothie though.

Here are a few other post workout snack options:

1. A baked sweet potato with a tbsp of nut butter and a little granola
  2. A cup of raw oats cooked with almond milk and tbsp of honey + walnuts on top for some omega 3’s (help to reduce inflammation)
  3. Whole wheat tortilla with tbsp of pesto and a scrambled egg (or 1/2 cup chicken or tofu) + 1 cup fruit
  4. RX bar - if you are in a rush
1 Like