To ERG or Not to ERG?

I’m in the 2nd week of the Road Racing Interval plan. Are there compelling reasons to use, or not to use, ERG mode when doing the weekday interval workouts? In short, is one mode better than the other?

If recommend not using erg mode. First of all it makes the power very consistent which is unrealistic to the outside world. Secondly it doesn’t allow any flexibility based on how you are feeling. Such as feeling good can push the zone a bit, riding indoors you may not feel as strong so rude more at the lower end. Third during burst and full gas efforts tends to hold you back. Thirdly it’s good to train yourself to be able to push, shirt gears and not be a drone.

With that said power is power. So you’ll still get a good and proper adaptation to the training. It can be a personal preference.

1 Like

I agree :100: ERG mode is lazy and flies in the face of our full gas interval prescription.

What if you are doing VO2 intervals and you set ERG mode at 310 watts but you could do 330 watts?

ERG mode messes that up but as Coach @Jake says, doing them ‘old skool’ does not.

Sometimes if I’m doing tempo work in the winter I’ll do ERG mode after I settle into the wattage I want but otherwise do your intervals by feel, full gas, the old fashioned way

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback. I’ve gone back and forth over the past year trying both methods, but I honestly can’t say I prefer one or the other. However, one of the things I absolutely love is having my Fascat plan in TrainingPeaks, which means when I load Zwift, the workout of the day is already loaded and ready to go…no importing necessary.

And when you are already working out, Zwift makes it so easy to raise or lower the target wattage or to toggle ERG on/off. No excuses not to train when you make it that convenient!

2 Likes