Heart Rate Monitor Suggestions

Hi Folks. I’ve had bad luck with HR monitors. I had a Wahoo Tickr (original model) and it stopped working. I bought another, and the data went flat in the middle of rides. I bought a Stages, which worked for about 8 months, then became unreliable. I’ve changed batteries, cleaned straps, used electrode gel, read and re-read manuals etc. Any advice out there for a more reliable unit? Are the newer Tickrs any better? Thanks!

1 Like

My buddy also says they have trouble with breaking Tickrs. I’ve had one break (circa 2018?) after 1 season. It had corrosion on the metal buttons and the pads were pulling away from the strap. But my replacement has lasted since. I think my religious post-ride rinse of strap, on-skin sensor pads, and all 4 buttons has kept it going? Plus I blow out/off all the standing water from the buttons to avoid corrosion as soon as I’ve rinsed it. And when I store it I avoid pinching the pads.

I’ve heard good things about the Polar hrm.

1 Like

Hey @david.farrell,
I too have had issues with my HR monitors. I got so annoyed that i just bought the cheapest HR monitor on amazon. I have had it for ~6 months now and even ran it through the washing machine and it is still going strong. 10/10 recommend!

7 Likes

I’ve been using the old style Garmin HRM1 for years and years. My current one is over 5 years old. It’s Ant+ only but inexpensive.

That said, I’m buying a Polar H10 to play around with HRV, DFA Alpha-1, and aerobic threshold testing. The Polar H series are considered the most accurate and often used in lab settings.

I gave up on the Tickr as the 2 I’ve had both rusted out at the snap/connectors despite being washed with fresh water after each session. I’ve had good luck with the Garmins.

1 Like

Agree that the Wahoo Tickr is flawed. It’s silly to have to be so diligent with rinsing. I found that if I used just one side of the strap on and off each time, it would break. So I snap it together on the right and take it off on the left. So half the time it’s upside down. I rinse the open side each time and dry it as well. That has helped the longevity of my Tickr’s a lot. Not going to repurchase when my current HRM strap dies.

I used to have a garmin HRM chest strap, but got fed up with frequent bad data, particularly when the weather got colder. I tried gels etc to improve conductivity. Anyway 2 years ago I went through this search, and switched to an optical HRM strap: Scosche RHYTHM+. It’s been flawless.

I use the Scosche RHYTHM24 and I have not had connection issues. Connects to any product I’ve used on hand (iOS (older and current), android, and my desktop). Doubles as a cadence sensor for running and stores workout information as well.

I had all sorts of trouble with the Tickr as well. I have been using the Tickr Fit (goes on the forearm) and have been having good luck with it. I have mixed feelings about it overall, but the data has been consistent at least.

What is the tv add? It just keeps on ticking!, or whatever it is, I can’t remember that far back! Good luck

I’ve found the fabric style Garmin straps to be less reliable. The all-plastic Garmins have been extremely reliable for me. You need to put some water (spit works fine) on the electrodes to get it started till you start sweating. I have had a couple static-prone jerseys that can interfere when they are dry. They were generally cheaper ones that I didn’t like much anyway, but I don’t know whether cheaper really has anything to do with it.

1 Like

I’ve been using a TickrX with a Garmin strap for 2-3 years without issues. The original TickrX strap broke in 9 months & it seems like a bad design. I detach the Strap after every use, this seems to reduce battery drain. I also rinse the strap weekly & run it through the wash at least monthly. I’ve read that salt build up on the strap hinders HR pick up. Fussy but effective.

Hello,

I’m totally new to training with technology. Just been riding and racing around on gravel for last two years! lol I’ve now invested in a training plan and plan to use Heart Rate as opposed to a power meter for this kick-off session.

I am looking for a budget entry option to get things off the ground.

I see that training peaks has an iOS phone app. Does anyone know if the app will sync wirelessly and directly with a chest strap heart rate monitor? And if so it the app will display the heart rate on the go on the phone screen?

If I can, my plan is to mount my phone to my bike initially and use the HR display on the screen to stay in the appropriate HR zones. I figure this is as basic as it can get to start?

I realize that almost all other options (watches, computers, power meters) are likely better ones but I’ve got a lot to learn about all of these before committing to the costs involved.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi @ajbm - this functionality is not built into the iOS TrainingPeaks app, you will need a bicycle computer like a garmin or a wahoo to record your heart rate data. There are lower cost alternatives too.

Then a heart rate monitor strap is about $50.

Hammerhead makes a super high tech computer that has a touchscreen like your phone and they have a free heart rate monitor to all FasCasts with purchase (use FASCAT)

1 Like

What app are you using/intend to use for the H10 HRV et al?

I’ve been using chest strap HRMs for years- polar, garmin, wahoo, and cheapies. My experience is that none of them last for more than 2 years or so. I’m currently on a bontrager bluetooth unit, which is trending the same way. So I recommend buying the cheapest BT HRM backed by a local retailer that you can find.

Polar H10. Works like a charm. The original battery was poor, but the replacement ones seem to last longer. Also, detaching the hardware from the strap probably helps too with battery management. I have the orange strap, I like it. Fit is zero issue. In fact, on the few rides where I don’t put it on properly, I really notice it, because otherwise it has become second nature.

6 Likes

Sorry, I just saw this post a few months late. :slight_smile:

I’m using the HRV4Training tools for HRV. You can use their datalogger tool to determine your aerobic threshold with dfa alpha1.

1 Like

Hi
Using the same one no issues ever