What is the best plan that suites for my setup?

Hi Fascat team!

I am relatively new to cycling and to start with. Started only December 2020. I feel that I have a passion and heart to be a fast cyclist and wanting to join a race or races (Individual TT and TTT this June 2021) or even just riding with fast group rides. Having said that, since I thought of doing structured workout, I bought a smart indoor trainer (Elite Direto XR) which will be arriving sometime next week. Would like to ask all of you how will I go about my training with my current setup; Road bike with HR/Cad/SpdSensor and a smart trainer. I am a healthcare worker who works in a hospital doing shifts, so I don’t have the luxury to have a weekend off from work all the time to do the weekend long ride although I believe I can do 6-8hrs of training per week. To confirm;

1. Would I still be able to do the plan efficiently with more time using indoor smart trainer?
  2. Would I be able to train outdoor without power meter? If yes, how should I go about it?

With all that being said, I am 30 years old that weighs 58kg (127lbs) 167cm height and have been joining fast group rides for a number of times now after riding solo for the past 2 months. I do not know my power data and all the numbers, even my FTP but I am able to maintain and average speed of 35km/h (21mph) on flats and 40-42km/h (24-26mph) when drafting for at least 30mins but I have no idea how that counts to my current fitness. Longest ride was 110km solo.

As what the title says, what the best plan for my current setup? Although I feel like getting Sweet Spot plan is the first way to go? Please enlighten me. Thank you!!

Regards,
RoyG

1 Like

Hey @RoyG !!
Welcome to the world of bikes, it’s a pretty great place to be! (I know, I am a little biased :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Regarding your training, you can absolutely do your plan indoors. In fact Coach @Jake trains almost exclusively indoors! To do this you will ideally get on zwift, but there are other platforms you can use. Once you get on a plan it will have you do an FTP test first and you will record both your HR and your power data. With that you will set your power and HR zones.

As far as plans go, I would go the 18 weeks of Sweet Spot (which would take you to the end of july). Or do Sweet spot part 1 and part 2 (takes you into mid june) and then start a race specific interval plan such as our intervals for time trials!