Weight Lifting for Cyclists Training Plan

We just got a question from Patrick asking the following.
"Just bought the weight lifting for cycling and had a question about the adaptation phase, on Wed it has the following. Do Iift or do I do the intervals? "

As this is the advanced plan, you do both the ride and the lifting session.

Cheers!

1 Like

with the Glo membership, are there specific courses you would recommend for a newbie in yoga?

In our Weight Lifting Plan podcast we reference class # 2997

ā€œOff the Bike and Onto the Matā€ with Darren

Also type ā€œcyclingā€ into the Glo.com search box and 35 cycling specific classes will appear. Have at it :pray:

3 Likes

thank you so much! iā€™ll try those out tomorrow.

1 Like

I noticed dramatic improvements in my balance when I began using the board. Track stands at stoplights, and improved technical skills on the mtb I all attribute to using the balance board!

3 Likes

Hello?? Yes! Do your one legged yoga poses and your handling skills will improve even more!

Question - i need to travel for work on tuesday and wont be able to workout - Iā€™m in week 3 of the adaption phase and my plan is to swap tuesday and thursdayā€¦making tuesday my yoga day, which i can do at night when iā€™m back and thursday my MT ride day.

sound good?

also - i know you guys covered this in a pod cast - but iā€™m look at CTL and itā€™s dropping. i know i shouldnt worry but how many points should i anticipate it dropping before it plateaus to a degree?

thx,

JD

Hi, about to start the planā€¦ The leg curl - is this meant to be a seated leg curl, or a prone leg curl? Or does it not matter? Thanks!

You could do either technically, but you will get a better hamstring workout with the prone leg curl. That is what muscle system we are trying to work on with the hamstring curls.

2 Likes

Per your second question - simply go look at your PMC chart in the future and the dashed CTL will tell you!

1st Q: yeah sounds good and that is still #FtFPā€™ing :muscle:

1 Like

About to kick off the ā€œweight training for cycling - intermediate planā€ and was wondering, if I choose to add some cycling in on top of the weight training will that be detrimental to my strength gains?

If not, what kind of rides would best compliment the intent of these strength building workouts? Long (20ā€™ +) intervals, Z2 base miles, etc.

Just wondering for days where I may have a bit extra time to train. Thanks!

Zone 2 rides. Such as doing a zone 2 ride after completing weights on Wednesday. That would be the best place for an extra ride as you will have completed the weights and have an off day to follow.

Just remember this phase isnā€™t about building CTL or maintaining. Itā€™s about strength training. The time will come when you will be riding a lot more. Itā€™s a progression.

1 Like

Totally understood. Thank you for the input Jake! Will stick to the plan :+1:t3:

Yes, I really like using the board. The sitting on it I find pretty difficult, standing is fun and very doable, I canā€™t juggle but Iā€™ve tried tossing a ball around, or messing with my phone.

To work up to sitting on the board Iā€™ve been placing a board on top of a stability disc, that seems to be a little easier and hopefully Iā€™ll work my way up.

The balance board is incredibly fun but agree with GT7, sitting on it is really difficult.
And I know to never say never, but Iā€™m pretty confident that Iā€™m never going to master standing on a fitness ball and doing squats! Tried using a doorway initially to kind of brace myself but that was too dangerous, so am using a pullup bar we have in the basement to have something to hang onto.

Iā€™m kind of confused when it comes to Phase 2: Hypertrophy (2 weeks) and Phase 3: Strength (2 weeks). When I look at the spreadsheet it has me doing 6 total sessions of each heavy and light with it alternating for the 2 weeks, I would need 3 weeks of the Hypertrophy phase to get to 5 and 6 sessions. It looks like itā€™s the same with the Streghty phase. What am I missing?

Hypertrophy (Heavy)

1 & 2 10-12 65% 0 0 0 90-120 secs
3 & 4 10-12 70% 0 0 0 90-120 secs
5 & 6 10-12 75% 0 0 0 90-120 secs

Thanks,

1 Like

Errrrmmm - those are sets: Sets 1 & 2 @ 65% > Sets 3 & 4 @ 70% > Sets 5 & 6 @ 75%

You do six sets per workout.

1 Like

Well, that makes perfect sense now. For some reason I was reading them as sessions and not sets.

2 Likes

I noticed that there are two sheets in the 32 week plan for weight lifting. There is one in the adaptation and one on day one of hypertrophy stages, one of them days sets and the other says session. Noticed one does not have the FasCat logo either. I figured you meant sets.

Coaches, Iā€™m in my 3rd week of the Adaptation phase with sessions 8 and 9 left to go. I was listening to the podcast again to make sure Iā€™ve got the process to set my 1RM right. Frank says to start the Adaptation Phase Day 1 squat with no weight, then add 5 lbs to the first set each day and 5 lbs to each 8 rep set each day. So Day 1 is 0-5-10-15, Day 2 is 5-10-15-20, etc. Following that plan I should therefore be doing 35-40-45-50 by day 8 and 40-45-50-60 at day 9.

But, he says that the average cyclist might have a 1RM of 200 lbs . On the podcast at about 20 mins in he also says the ā€œadaptation phase is going to put you in the ballparkā€ and ā€œsay you finish the adaptation phase doing 8 sets of 150 lbsā€ and that guides you to trying your 1RM.

Well my last set on day 9 of the Adaptation phase is 60 lbs which is a long way from 150lbs. Did I misunderstand the weight progression I should be doing in the phase? Should I add a whole bunch of weight to start my last two Adaptation days and then add 10lbs per set? Should I do another week or two of adaptation adding 5 lbs a day? Something in between? Or should I just plan to try my 1RM at a 1/3 more (200/150) of my last 8 rep weight (80/60)?

Obviously I want to get the 1RM right as the remaining weeks of the plan depend on it. Thanks