TSS Clarification in Plans

Hey,

I have some plans I purchased and recently went through to see what to expect. There’s a list of workouts below from two of the plans that I’d like clarification on what the TSS should be. Some could be seen as nitpicking, some have a bit of a big variation from the title to the built workout, and some have no TSS although they have specified SS target times.

Resistance Training + Sweet Spot Off Season Plan - Intermediate
SS1 Week 6 Endurance Zone 2 ~ 70 TSS; is around 45 (I matched the title and don’t recall value)
SS2 Week 3 Endurance Zone 2 ~ 110 TSS; is 127
SS2 Week 4 Endurance Zone 2 ~ 65 TSS; is 74
SS2 Week 4 Endurance Zone 2 ~ 125 TSS; is 152
SS3 Week 1 Endurance Zone 2 ~ 45 TSS; is 97
SS3 Week 1 “FreeStyle” Sweet Spot ~ 45 minutes worth; no TSS
SS3 Week 2 “FreeStyle” Sweet Spot ~ 60 minutes worth; no TSS

18 Weeks of Sweet Spot - Intermediate
Week 7 Endurance Zone 2 ~ 55 TSS; is 48
Week 7 Endurance Zone 2 ~ 80 TSS; is 97
Week 9 Endurance Zone 2 ~ 110 TSS; is 127
Week 10 Endurance Zone 2 ~ 65 TSS; is 74
Week 10 Endurance Zone 2 ~ 125 TSS; is 152
Week 13 Endurance Zone 2 ~ 45 TSS; is 97
Week 13 “FreeStyle” Sweet Spot - 45 minutes worth; no TSS
Week 14 “FreeStyle” Sweet Spot - 60 minutes worth; no TSS

Thanks!

Hi,

Don’t worry so much about the ‘TSS’ planned on the short zone 2 rides. These zone 2 rides are not TSS rides or goals. The Workout builder makes us put in a range of power and TrainingPeaks will use the middle number to estimate TSS. But with power you will have many 0’s throughout a ride, especially outdoors as you slow for corners, spots and etc. TrainingPeaks does not account for this.

For these zone 2 rides focus on the time and duration and keep the power and more importantly heart rate in zone 2. Heart rate is a good indication of the actual effort as it doesn’t fluctuate as much on these short zone 2 rides.

A zone 2 ride could be technically anywhere between 35 to 55 TSS per hour, but also this doesn’t take into consideration warm up and cool down in zone 1.

The sweet spot rides are going to be changed to TSS rides where there is more of a goal of actually achieving a TSS number. But still 45 minutes worth of sweet spot you can view training time by zones and you should have the target amount, 45 minutes, of training time in zone 3 and 4. Harder to see when riding in real time and that is why it is good have that TSS target. But also if you are doing climbs, segments or interval lengths of your choosing you can get close.

2 Likes