TrainingPlan (SweetSpot) mesocycle and structure explained

Hi there

When I’m correct, you’re using a 3ON/1OFF week structure - these are 4 weeks, but how you get a 6/12/18 week block off them? I have found some information about the structure here: https://fascatcoaching.com/tips/fatigue-dependent-training-plan-design/ but not understanding what happens on week 5, 6 and the following week 7 for pairing a second plan. Please, can you explain a bit “behind the scenes” about your structure and mesocycles on the (SweetSpot) Plans? Why you use 6 weeks plans?

BR Stefan

2 Likes

Hi Stefan -

For the stand alone six week plans the training and recovery is very carefully balanced.

If you are pairing sweet spot 1 and 2 or other plans you will want to edit in a regeneration week, aka a rest week per the FDTPD training tip.

We can do that for you with our new Coaching Subscription or you can edit in a regen week by editing your plan like this training tip shows:
https://fascatcoaching.com/tips/adjust-fascat-training-plan/

1 Like

Thanks Frank
So for easy handling it’s better to use the 32 or 18 weeks plan.

But for my first question, what is the correct pattern for the 6 weeks plans, 3/1/2? And what is the baseline of that pattern? Why you don’t use 3/1/3/1?

When I pair now with an additional recovery week, I get 3/1/2/1/3/1/2/(1). So I see a pattern in this, but normally I would prefer 3/1/3/1… or 2/1/2/1… for the elders
Still a bit confused because I thought your SS1, SS2 and SS3 plans are just the splitted 18 weeks plan. I’m pretty sure, I’m not the only one.

My question builds on the fact that I prefer to count the weeks back from my planned A race in the next season to get the beginning, now I realize I have to put in a bit more time for recovery weeks between your plans.

BR Stefan

1 Like

There is no one right way to structure periodization as long as you are taking regularly rest weeks. Sometimes it could be 2 weeks on 1 week off, or 4 weeks on 1 week off.

It also doesn’t have to be 1 week off. It could be a nice 2-3 day rest block and then you GTG after.

If you want regularity a good pattern to get into is 3 weeks ON 1 week OFF. As a coach I try to line the ‘off weeks’ to precede a race weekend so the athlete has fresh legs and makes more power. Thus, sometimes I’ll design training to be 2 weeks on 1 week off. Also 10 hard days or training followed by a 2-3 day rest block.

We DEFinitely encourage you to work your periodization backwards from your A race. Hope that helps - good luck!

1 Like

Perfect, thanks Frank for declaration

The next year I will definitely plan in a few more spare days and weeks for unpredictable events around the season for a better time management.

BR Stefan

1 Like