Training Peaks Help Mega Thread

Right, I saw that part where I pout in threshold HR and HR zones are calculated from there. I also know where to find settings in TP.

I more meant if you look at the “structured workouts”

The metrics on the workout that I can download to my Garmin uses watts (ex Sweet Spot Efforts: 10m @ 290 W)
Is there a way of me changing each workout you’ve made into having the HR % vs the power % so when I download it it’s still plug and play? (Sweet Spot Efforts: 10m @ 68-72% HR) totally made up numbers haha)

Or do I need to edit each workout individually? I thought on TP there was a version of the intermediate fondo that was HR based. Would it be what I’m describing?

Would love to just hit “start” on my garmin and let it yell at me when HR is too low or too high :slight_smile:

Downloaded the training. There is a box on the bottom of each Training Peaks workout for Automatically calculate planned values. Should this be checked?

1 Like

I have a question about making a small adjustment to the daily training plan. Don’t freak out Frank, I’m still following the plan. The situation is such. I live nearby the flat long road that I use for most of my training rides. However, it’s about a 15 minute ride to and from before I get to the actual route. As I ride the bike to and from, I would like to adjust the warm up and cool down segments of the daily training plan work out to approximately 15 minutes - from the standard 5. I’ve attempted making this adjustment on Training Peaks, however, I must have done something incorrect as the workout that downloaded to my Wahoo Elemnt was the standard workout without any modifications. Is there a way to modify the timing on the segments so that I can make the changes I want and still follow the plan? Thanks,

@FRANK? Any thoughts?

This is to edit planned values. So if you change IF or add in other values to have it then fill in the other values.

1 Like

Sadly there is no way for the user to do this once the plan is downloaded.

This might be something you have to figure out through Wahoo where the workout was exported before the edit and it hasn’t replaced it. you could clone the workout and retitle it as #2 to make sure that the workout is exporting correctly. I would say that would be the first step and then we can investigate further from there.

Darn.

So the plan basically only works when using a power meter then?
At least, the “download workout and ride” aspect of it?

What about this?
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/training-plans/cycling/gran-fondo-century/tp-118907/fondo-intermediate-heart-rate-based

Will using plan above populate workout data from threshold HR data in training peaks instead of FTP data like (https://fascatcoaching.com/training-plans/gran-fondo-plan/ intermediate) which I purchased?

Originally we were customizing each plan to have HR export but due to the labor involved and demand we have stuck to power. This only limits customers on the export function and doesn’t keep athletes from following the plans “the old fashion way”.

1 Like

Exactly - the training is the same, physiologically. All our plans are zone based and you can use hr or power or RPE.

This is more a feature I wish TrainingPeaks had but right now they make you choose one or the other

1 Like

Roger that. So @Isaiah and @FRANK does the “HEART RATE BASED” one on training peaks use HR as the export? If so can I just swap plans?
I thought I had budget for a power meter but don’t yet :frowning:

The training is the same so the plans are the same so there’s nothing to swap out in trainingpeaks other than a name and the workout builder. Sorry, its a trainingpeaks ‘thing’

1 Like

All good. I can always call and harass them :sunglasses:.

I’ll just find a pm on the cheap and then we are good

I have HR Cadence and a Power meter on one of my bikes but just cadence and HR when riding the other.
So I ‘rebuild’ the workouts when riding without power to use my HR zones.
I do this for a 1 or 2 of the 5 rides per week.
This takes some work, but I find it is worth it for me.
It would be a bunch of work to do it for all of them.
Good luck!

2 Likes

I have recently updated my FTP (in TP and Garmin) but it doesn’t look like my pre-set workouts (imported into Garmin from TP) have adjusted to the new FTP. Going into the detail I think it’s because the intervals are set for custom power rather than Zone.

I deleted all workouts from my Garmin device and re-synced but it’s still showing power from the old FTP. Is it because all of the workouts got imported when I first got the training plan and I now need to manually Export the file and upload it to Garmin each time I increase my FTP?

TIA.

1 Like

How is Time in Zone calculated wrt overlapping Sweet spot? For example if Tempo is up to 216W, Sweet Spot is 199 to 233W, and L4 is 218 to 252W. In TP, looking at Time in Zone, is there a priority how time in the overlap area is counted? In this example, would time at 210W be counted in Tempo or Sweet Spot or both? Similar for 225W wrt SS and L4.

1 Like

It is counted in both zones.

1 Like

Interesting and humbling, guess I haven’t been getting as much sweet spot as I thought.

I honestly do not use the ‘time in zone’ chart because I have found it to not be representative of the time that I did spend in that zone.

Instead - I manually analyze the effort or interval(s), double check that I FtFP’ed and its as simple as that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also like to look at time in zone 3 and 4 and combine those not just sweet spot.

If you look st this graph of sweet spot training it really starts in upper zone 2 to just below FTP. This is advance aerobic training. The sweet spot zone is more focused to intervals when you are doing shorter specific efforts.

http://fascatcoaching.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/sweet-spot.jpg

But also like Frank says look at your average normalized power for long durations during the rides. That as well can give a better representation.

1 Like