The World is Crazy and It's Screwing with My Plan

Hi Jake,
I gave you something to look at on 14 March. Once in a while I do a “fitness check ride” and this was one of those. I use it as gauge on training, maybe you can glean some more info than I. Using your suggestions I did try and focus on making good power late in the ride, and some SS efforts throughout.

With he BWR announcement of a potential slip and it being my A race, I may be asking for some plan changes if they move the date. For now, we (me and you!) will stick with the current plan.

One other thing I have been monitoring is HR increase over 3x and 4x SS intervals. You made a comment on my last question that this is a good gauge on fitness. Seems the delta between interval set 2 and 4 has been consistently less.

As always, thank you and see you at BWR, whenever it might be.

Kip

1 Like

That was a great ride you had! 243 SS in 3.5 hours. That was like race pace ride right there. Great simulation for BWR. First 90 minutes basically did 263 normalized power which was 92% of your FTP! So started off with 90 minutes of sweet spot.

The effort after were good but the one at the very end was fantastic! 4 minutes @ 290 watts! That was like making a race winning move over the last climb. Good to see you could put out power that was over FTP. A that point you had over 2000 kJ’s and over 200 TSS. That is something you can track as well. What is your peak power after 1500 kjs. Its something you can do with WKO, with just training peaks much tougher. But that is when races are won.

But rides like BWR which is a goal the fact you can stay on the gas is important. That has a longer climb more in the middle and your 90 minute effort on this day was good! Also there are some shorter harder efforts later on in BWR so the ride you did for this day is great preparation!

In the last hour you still held on to an intensity factor of right around .8 which is good! A lot of times after 3 or 4 hours this tends to drop, especially with the hard start. So going forward with some longer simulation rides this is something good to look at.

Yeah we are all on a wait and see pattern with BWR. Just continue to train and #FtFP. Nothing wrong with being in shape and gaining fitness. Might just be shifting a few plans around, planning a rest since it wouldn’t be raced till November and work on a ramping up at the right time.

1 Like