Submit your Question (for the Podcast) for a chance to win a FasCat T-shirt!

Question around indoor / outdoor FTP and intensity. I know it is common to have different FTP numbers inside and outside, but how should that alter intensity which then ultimately feeds into TSS?

With the CO Spring weather and trying to limit chances of crashes while riding outside, I’ve been doing more Zwift riding and races. Should I make manual adjustments to my TSS numbers based on FTP numbers that I can put up inside on the trainer vs outdoors?

Hiya @jeffmbush - I think you should custom make your nutrition in this case. I would point you in the direction towards rice and oats. The problem you are going to find is these are not quick carbs like gels and blocks bc they take awhile to be digested.

Way back long LONG ago we had a homemade clif bar recipe on our website. I don’t know what happened with that - it was about 4-5 website revisions ago. The primary ingredient was Quaker old fashioned oats. Similar to this recipe:

3 Likes

My question deals more with the ‘Big Picture’ and long term training. For example, a very fast twitch 20 year old male who’s jumping into cycling with an athletic background. Big engine and poor efficiency.

What should somebody like this focus on to set themselves up for success 1 year from now? Should they focus on continually building aerobic capacity and FTP before they attempt to develop anaerobic capacity? What’s the big picture look like for somebody to progress from Cat 5-> 2,3 fitness in 12-18 months time? What kind of weekly time commitment does it require? Better yet, if you could do it all over again how would you have done it?

1 Like

It all comes down to what you want to be good at & what you are training for?

Crits, cyclocross have a very different answer than gravel , fondos and or road racing.

Another way to come at your question is what do you like to do, what are your goals?

Reply back, bc this is a good question but if we know more we can help you better

We got a great one from OG mtb’er and friend and customer Joah:

Hi Frank,

I started up riding more regularly over the past couple of weeks and am trying to decide with one of the training plans from FasCat I should start with. Not many goals that are actually going to happen in the next few weeks, I’m hopeful that mtn bike nationals still takes place so that would be my one goal.

I re-loaded the Climbing Intervals-Intermediate in to start this week, but wonder if the Intervals for XC MTB’ing-Intermediate would be a better place to start? Or would it be better to start off with the 6-week sweet spot training?

I don’t have that plan, but I have the tail end of the weight + base, but just the beginner one of that.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Joan

If DK does go off as planned, what’s a good distance/hours for a race simulation training ride? I’m in for the 200-miler. My #1 goal is to finish before dark. #2 is to finish at a 15 mph pace, about a 13:30 time. #3 goal is to have fun.

Frank, I found my answer here. https://youtu.be/thhutMBR4Ss
6-7 hours. Race pace. On the race bike. Race wheels. Race nutrition. And my comfy Camelbak Chase vest. I will listen just the same for any new tips. :+1:t5:

I’m mainy interested in road racing and CX! I will race more crits than anything due to where I live, but my target races will be CX and RR. I‘ve been riding for 1.5 years and have been truly training with plans and power for 7 months.

I really just want to ride at the highest level I can make it, I’d love to race in amateur nats one day on the road or CX.

My peak numbers are 1493w for 5s, 674w for 1 min, 403w for 5 min, and 314w for 20 min if an idea of my power profile helps.

1 Like

Using only rollers and no power, what is the best way to judge improvement?

Hi everybody. A question that relates to the one made by jaredwright04.
What do you think about prescribing VO2max interval intensity related to a 3-5’ all out test, compared to z5 based on ftp. Especially for roadies who could have a very high 5’ wattage, compared to ftp.
Thanks Nico

1 Like

If you a person who is extrinsically motivated (i.e., you get more out of yourself riding with others or racing) and are now in the position where you need to train alone, are there techniques that you can suggest to maximize solo training? I realize there are Zwift races and Strava segments but are there mental tricks as well?

Thanks.

1 Like

Two questions… one not related to the other : - )

1). My questions to the podcast is given the Gravel Ride/Racing trend in the US currently where do the FasCat team see it evolving, developing? Will we see the variety of events broaden to cater to all interests from crushing in a race environment to riding in an adventure or will it narrow down as to what is most successful commercially?

2). I’ve had a lot of views on my forum question on the Fascat zone spreadsheet but no replies (sad face) Is there any Fascat dude/ette I can send my calculated zones to for review that I’m on the right track? I did my first SS session yesterday - holy heck I got a fright on the first one, moving into it i thought easy its just a 3.5 zone… yeah nah … not easy I had to work : - ) Great stuff guys. I’m into it big time loving the Fascat approach, podcasts, articles - you guys are nailing it team !

Father O’Leary

Hey Jeff, was listening to the podcast & heard Frank talk about the Quaker Oats recipe. This seems to be it. https://www.quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/breakfast-bars :grin:

1 Like

Thanks @FRANK. Yup! Pace, pace, pace.

I am a few weeks away from the end of the 18 week sweet spot plan and was going to flip from base to race to prepare for my ‘A’ races in June. Now like many, my whole race schedule is cancelled. I know you had mentioned flipping back to base. Should I be jumping straight back into SST 18 week program or do something else like take a couple weeks of less structured training or try the corona plan for some variety? Trying to look at the longer-term goals and build for beyond this year at this point.

H @matthewpenman - yes, back to ‘base’ and sweet spot BUT (very important) add in some F U N. Strava-Vals , AmEX Rides, - whatever fun is for you. Our gravel team has been doing the Cervelo GravelRush Zwift group rides/races on Thursdays

Use the Performance Manager Chart to help you maintain / build your CTL during this time of no racing and help you know when to make the switch an interval plan whenever we/you find out your racing will be happening again. In the meantime, sweet spot , sweet spot, sweet spot (in a fun way)