Six Weeks till CX Mega Thread w/ Updated Links & Podcast Video!

Thank you very much @FRANK!

1 Like

Question about # of intense workouts in a week. I’m in week 4 of the 6 weeks to CX and have found it difficult to recover from the super intense sessions. Think 30x30 and Tabata. I’ve read studies that there may be little incremental benefit from more than two intense sessions per week. On average in this plan there feels like 3 or sometimes 4 intense workouts per week once you pile on the V02 . Today for example I skipped the Tabata because my legs have that rusty deep fatigued feeling. So I just rode easy for 90 minutes. Would love some feedback.

@iamkramer thanks for your question. This is where you might want to consider the Basic instead of Intermediate plan to give yourself a bit more recovery time.
There are quite a few studies out there that say that two high V02 sessions per week is ideal, while others say that more is ideal. So while we believe that this is something you want to tailor to your body and your goals, we created the six weeks to CX plan to give users a jump start into race intensity before starting cross, so needing that higher intensity rate. This does mean you want to keep a close eye on not overdoing it on the weekends, or adding on in places because all of that can take away from those high intensity workouts. Its important to #FtFP but its also important for you to listen to your body which it sounds like you are doing a great job at.

Like Coach @Isaiah says, its highly individual. This is where having a Coach would really help because they’ll know if its a case of #FtFP or if something else is going on. Lack of recovery? Lack of CTL or what? We don’t even know how old you are so that makes it tough to even begin to answer!

If you are 30, #FtFP

If you are 55 where recovery is limiting - the basic plan is a nice alternative.

Also the Coaching Subscription solves this because we will be able to look at your data and recommend a data driven answer :nerd_face:

https://fascatcoaching.com/training-plans/fascat-coaching-subscription/

@FRANK @Isaiah Thanks for the input. Generally speaking, when it comes to recovery, planned work outs and deep fatigue I usually follow the “when in doubt leave it out” rule. When it comes to the number of high intensity sessions in a week how do you view SS?

As background I’m 48 and been racing for over 20 years, and as most masters athletes job, family, sleep and training are often a difficult balancing act.

You are welcome - yea, we’d have to get into your data to have a look and see what’s going on to help you further. The intensity from CX training and racing can get wonky quick so while we can’t answer specifically without access to your trainingpeaks we can say ‘rest is best’ kinda like your ‘when in doubt leave it out’ adage.

1 Like

As a rule of thumb would you put Sweet Spot into the intensity category? Hypothetically if I were to determine 3 intense sessions per week was ideal for me, would it be wise to consider a long Sweet Spot session one of those? Thanks again. The programs are great!

No, sweet spot for cx is for the summer as seen in our sweet spot for cx SUMMER plan. Once you get to the season its either full gas or recovery days.

Question about Day 2 so the six weeks plan.

1. For the plyometrics, it says 60 touches, but the workout says 1x10 for each exercise (30 touches). Should I do 2 sets of 10 for each exercise.

2. What should I focus on in the “zone 2 with skills” section of the 30/30’s ride?

Yes 2 x 10 for each of three movements for 60 total

cornering, technical bike handling, dismounts, remounts, carrying your bike, cornering, race starts, cornering, more cornering.

Did I mention cornering?

2 Likes

@FRANK @roger.winn a BAZILLION corners! :raised_hands:t3:

1 Like

Next six weeks question. Just finished my FTP workout (Whew! was that tough). It says to put some data into the Fascat Zones sheet, but I didn’t see it attached. Where can I find this sheet?

Thanks!

@roger.winn

You will find it attached to your “field test” workout box as an attachment (it will show a little paperclip in the upper right of the workout box in TP and you can click on it and download it). Congrats on making it through the field test!!

2 Likes

@Isaiah thanks for the help! I’m new to Training Peaks, so it took a while for me to find it.

3 Likes

Week 4, Wednesday, 30/30’s workout. There was an error with the workout. The first two sets went great, but the third set was only one interval and the zone 2 portion was missing. The workout went directly to cool down at about 38 minutes (it happened to a friend that was doing the program, also).

I was fried by the time I got to the third set, so I didn’t mind just doing some extended zone 2, but wanted to let you know about the workout.