Rocker Plate for Indoor Cycling?

Chad is not kidding about his Facebook group: 17k members!

I made a rocker plate two years ago and highly recommend the extra motion.

It’s a project, but not necessarily a crazy one. A sheet of plywood, jigsaw, drill, some elastomeric isolators, and a couple of small playground balls will get you there.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I’ve been researching this topic pretty hard, and it seems saddle pressure doubles on a static trainer. That’s really what’s done me in. Based on a Zwift FB group I’m in, these issues are not uncommon. I’m off the bike for a second week now, and my hiatus might be even longer than that. I’m heading back to IOG for a reevaluation of my saddle position this week, and beyond that, I’ll be making some big changes to my “pain cave” and my indoor riding style moving forward. Thanks again for all the help.

2 Likes

Great discussion. As a Saris Nfinity owner, the only additional thing to add is that a rocker will also work your core a bit more. I’m finding the transition back outdoors a lot easier as a result.

3 Likes

Pulled from my Google doc, a list of my most common answers:

Why Use a Rocker Plate?

1. Improve Saddle Comfort

• The movement of the bike & saddle relieves pressure from the sit bones & soft tissue.

• This is seen with saddle pressure mapping tests, as well as thousands of anecdotal comments from riders with increased comfort with a rocker plate.

• Saddle Pressure Mapping - Rocker Plate Testing & Results:

• The added motion can also encourage standing pedaling because it feels more comfortable than standing pedaling on rigid trainers, which feels awkward.

• This improved feel can lead to more frequent standing efforts, which adds to saddle comfort when seated, because of the more frequent standing breaks.
    • I also wrote a guide dealing with saddle pain & discomfort that covers different options.

2. Increase Core & Upper Body Use

• With softer leveling spring settings, it requires more engagement from the trunk & upper body to ride upright and maintain a smooth pedal stroke.

• This is because the bike is less stable than a rigid trainer, which requires more rider input to maintain balance on the rocker plate.
    • This is true for seated and standing efforts, when compared to rigid trainers.

3. Improve Standing Pedaling Feel

• Standing pedaling on a rigid trainer is awkward. It’s not like riding a bike outside and leads to unique movement patterns.

• On a rocker plate, the bike & trainer are more free to lean to both sides. This can allow the rider to move in ways that are less awkward than a rigid trainer.

4. Reduce Bike Frame Stress

• It is not proven yet, but trainer motion may reduce stress on the bike frame & related components compared to rigid trainers.

• Rocker Plates allow more freedom of movement with reduced side-loading to the axle vs a rigid trainer that allows little or no movement.

• The greater freedom of trainer motion leads to more rider input in the form of balance & control of the bike via the rider’s hands.

1 Like

I’ve just received my turborocks, after 2 months delay (thanks Brexit!)
Tomorrow, we ride! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great stuff. Thanks again, Chad.

1 Like

This thread is a bit cold, but for the benefit of those finding it through a Google search I present the https://velocityrockers.com website as another option for those seeking a quality and value priced rocker plate. Side-to-side and fore/aft motion. We were open for business starting in early April. Try us in person at the Sea Otter Classic this Fall!

1 Like