Rocker Plate for Indoor Cycling?

Hi Folks. I’ve trained hard this winter indoors and have generally enjoyed it. Unfortunately, training indoors has been hard on my butt. Literally. I’m riding on a Kickr Gen.5, and the rigidity of the system is taking its toll. I’ve had a professional fit by IOG, and I’ve never had this issue outdoors. I’m thinking a rocker board could help. Does anyone out there have any experience with a rocker board, and if so, what’s your take? Thanks!

I hear what you’re saying as this is my first season cycling and training indoors. Riding indoor is definitely different than outdoors, no stop signs/lights etc to give you a break. I ride rollers so I’m unable to comment on the rocker plate however I do try and brake sessions up by getting up out of the saddle, for example if I have a rest period I’ll try and do a minute or so out of the saddle. If I"m doing a Z2 endurance ride I"ll break it up by doing ay 5mins in the saddle and 2-2.5mins out of the saddle it really does make a difference and builds strength especially on the rollers. Good quality bibs with a quality chamois also help.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

5 Likes

I added a rockr pod to my kickr and it helped in my case, really reduced wear and tear both on my arse and my bibs.

3 Likes

I would also assume it would take some of the wear/stress off the bike as well.

1 Like

After buying parts to make my own rocker board, realized I had too many home projects and picked up an InsideRide e-Flex when it first came out:

I watched the DCRainmaker review before purchasing. There are a couple of links on that page above. The E-Flex helps but still find long indoor rides uncomfortable unless I actively stand up every 5-10 minutes.

2 Likes

I started down this path last fall; I watched a whole bunch of videos and joined the FB group etc. Then on the advice of one FB poster, went the quick and dirty route to give it a try. After looking around the garage and basement for 10 mins, I had all I needed: kids old hard 1.5" thick gymnastics tumbling mat, a piece of wood (like a broom handle), a running shoe, and a pair of rubber gloves. 6 months later I haven’t given making a Gen 2 rocker plate any more thought since the quick and dirty gen 1 rocker plate is sufficient and I can now ride up to 3hrs on the trainer. This made a massive difference. Try it you will like it.

In short, a rocker plate or other trainer motion has helped many riders find more comfort indoors. But not everyone likes the motion. If I had to guess, I’d say 90% or more of people who try trainer motion like it and stick with it.

I don’t want to bomb this thread, but can provide a range of info if desired. I run the Rocker Plate group on FB and do lots of testing and research on these, so I am deep into them and can probably help in a number of ways, as needed.

6 Likes

Thanks! I’m in the same boat with the projects. I’ve thought about buying an E-FLEX. I’ve read from some reviewers that FTP drops a bit on these rigs. Have you experienced that?

Thanks Chad. I don’t have much time for projects right now. What’s the best commercially available rocker plate for a Wahoo Kickr? Or maybe the best value? I’m kind of desperate. I’ve had to take time off my training to heal. A literal “ass kicking”. The obvious solution is to just ride outdoors, but I live in Colorado. March and April are our snowiest months, and I know I’ll still need to do some indoor workouts.

I checked ExcelSports but they do not carry a rocker plate and then did a google for the Saris Rocker:

The cost is why so many folks choose the DIY route

1 Like

Yes, they are pricey, which is why I might crack and just build one. For me, I think the main culprit was doing structured workouts in ERG mode. In ERG, you can just pedal and zone out to a soccer game, or whatever. It’s just so easy. But you stay seated for the entire workout because out of the saddle efforts don’t work very well. And now I’m on the sideline. BTW, I know you’ve warned against using ERG mode for a number of reasons. I wish I had listened. It’s SIM mode for me from now on.

I’m using standard/level mode on the Kickr, and no real difference between inside and outside FTP. Also seeing no difference in power on seated sprints (900-1100).

2 Likes

I really like a couple of brands and models.

1. This is a very affordable and useful option that offers pure rocking action (no fore-aft). Tunable with inflatable balls and can even be used without them for max motion freedom.

2. Their top end model, with rocking and very small (15mm) fore-aft motion. Great design with grip and sound damping covering.

3. The E-Flex is great. I have used mine for year now and love it. I made some mods since I like a very active feel, but the stock model is very good. Super light, small, and well made. It’s possibly my overall favorite and the price is really good too.

4. These guys are in Colorado, and offer a model similar to the Pod Lite above. I don’t have experience with them, but buyers on our group seem to like them. I don’t think they have the mount setup dialed as well as the Pod Lite, but that may be different now.

Those are my best pics for now. Let me know if you have specific questions, and the choice may come down to who has stock on hand in these tight times.

4 Likes

Thanks Chad. I REALLY appreciate your help and advice.

2 Likes

The sufferfest has great workouts and I use them in erg mode often. They also tell you to get out of the saddle. Give it a try. I don’t have a rocker but I do have my unit on my carpet then I don’t put the rear pads all the way down. This allows the unit to move slightly which is all I need.

1 Like

Is that 2 pieces of wood with the Kickr balanced on them? it’s a little hard to tell with my eyes. I may test that route 1st before spending a few hundred dollars first.

1 Like

Our wintertime intensity workouts do the same, 'sprint > stalk > and POUNCE" + the criss crosses - in and out of the saddle:

https://fascatcoaching.com/training-plans/wintertime-intensity/

2 Likes

yeah you just need something rigid for the kickr to pivot on side to side to create the rocking motion (all the expensive options essentially do the same thing), you then dampen that to your liking by putting something spongy under the kickr outboard feet. In my case a shoe and some rubber gloves. You just have to fool around a little getting it balanced to your liking. My whole rig is on top of the old gymnastics tumbling mat too which helps provide a bit more relief.

1 Like

And yes they’re two wooden stakes I had lying around in the garage.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m going to give that a try to see if it makes my long indoor rides more enjoyable.

1 Like