No group rides - am I missing training stimuls?

Hi Frank,

You mention you maintain your neuromuscular gains from weight lifting in your Sat group rides.

I am 7 weeks post weight training and don’t do any group rides to speak of.

Secondly, David Morris in his book ‘Performance Cycling’ advocates in the phase post weight training (Aerobic endurance phase) some muscular endurance rides (eg: SE work) and lead out intervals.

Given I don’t do any group rides should I be doing any of the above?

A lot of the feedback from riders doing Sweet spot plans are an increase in FTP however my FTP development has stalled / fallen as I am not doing any work above threshold (apart from the bursts)

Sam

Hi Sam - I don’t recall saying that, although if you are quoting me from a podcast it is possible. There’s a lot to unpack in your post so before I/we answer tell us what training plan you are following and what you are trying to achieve - this will help us answer!

We would need to have a look at your TrainingPeaks to answer further to see what’s going on.: timing, CTL, execution of field tests, compliance of FtFP :wink:

That said, if your goal is to raise your FTP and you have done 12-18 weeks of sweet spot training (?) then we do suggest high intensity interval training. If you have not done 12-18 weeks of sweet spot training and your CTL is not near its potential - keep sweet spottin’ and then go all in for your field test to measure your improvement.

I had a conversation with someone from Fast Cat on messenger whom advised neuromuscular gains from group rides - happy to email the conversation. He referred David Morris as ‘Dr Dave’.

Next week will be my first week of Sweet Spot 3 intermediate. I have done 6 weeks of Sweet Spot 2 intermediate and before that the resistance training plan.

My mid June / July goal is to pb a 17-18min climb (4.5% avg gradient) near where I live.

Can you shed light on “David Morris in his book ‘Performance Cycling’ advocates in the phase post weight training (Aerobic endurance phase) some muscular endurance rides (eg: SE work) and lead out intervals”.

Sam

Right on @sam - that was me.

So for a June/July climbing goal do our hill climbing intervals plan for the 4-6 weeks of training prior to when you want to attempt your PB’s. Maximal Sustainable power / threshold power / FTP / supra- threshold (101-13% of FTP for a 17-18 minute climb) - work on those in your training with this training plan:

I’m ready to pull the trigger and go full gas on the hill climbing repeats. Is there a discount code I could use Frank? :slight_smile:

Just the ones thru the regular normal channels :wink: leave a review, listen to the podcast, etc… All our coupons are limit one

Thanks!