Marathon mtb nations complete and plan review

Welp!! That’s a wrap on marathon mtb nationals! I ended up with a 4th place finish in the men’s 35-39 age group. It was my biggest race to date and I truly feel that the fascat marathon mtb plan prepared me for this race in the best way possible!
I had heard this race was going to be technical so I did all of my mtb training rides at the local ski resort, bear creek ski resort here in PA (hosted nationals in 2014). Riding the rocks at bear creek turned out to be the best decision I could’ve made to prep me technically for this years course at gambrill state park. The course was relentless, there were only two very short areas on the course where you could actually take a minute to gather your thoughts and think about anything other than navigating the never ending rocks. But yet, I thought the course flowed rather nicely given the amount of rocks. It was certainly a proper mtb course.

The plan, I really think it was perfect preparation for me. After a long xco season here locally, I started training for nats 11 weeks out. A proper rest week followed by 4 weeks of the base 4 polarized plan, and then the 6 week marathon mtb plan. I did a mixture of long hilly gravel road rides on my mtb, and technical climbing single track on the other long weekend rides. The long intervals during the week helped keep the sustained power up. I actually felt best the last 1/4 of the race, and feel like maybe I paced it a little conservative, but my goal was to finish strong, and I did just that.

Upon crossing the finish line I had assumed a mid pack finish, but once I saw the results shit I was shocked! Overall, the plan, the experience of racing nationals, and everything about the preparation could not have gone better.

Thanks fascat coaching!

6 Likes

Great job… that’s a stacked age group. Kudos to you for getting out and practicing on the rocky trails.

3 Likes

Great work and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Great work for sure. Tough course it sounds like.

1 Like