Long weekend Rides

Seems that now that a large majority of athletes are looking to train for long events, especially with gravel racing coming popular. Whether you are training for a one of these long gravel events, a Fondo, an endurance mountain bike race or etc you are going to need to put in some long weekend rides!

Sometimes the motivation to do these long rides solo can be a bit daunting. One of my favorite things to do back when I was racing full time was look for group rides to join. Yes many of us already do group rides, but I’d look to ride either before or after to get more time.

Personally I preferred to put in time before the group ride. The motivation to ride more after you friends have split off and headed for home was less. Riding before you have the excitement of looking forward to the group ride. Plus it’s a great way to work on endurance and race winning moves by putting the harder effort at the end.

This past weekend I had one goal and that was to get in 125 miles. I knew there happened to be a 65 mile group ride happening close to me. I got up early and did 2 hours before and only needed to do 45 minutes after. The 3.5 hours on the group ride went by fast with the motivation of riding with friends. Was easily able to accomplish my training goal for the day.

4 Likes

Super Pro Coach @Jake and very #secretTraining-esque. What are you training for with this 125 mile ride and 322 TSS?

1 Like

To never finish second at Assault on Mt. Mitchell again.

4 Likes

Sounds like a commitment and some serious #FtFP; I like it :muscle:

2 Likes

Same strategy here Jake, grinding out 2x4 hours Sat/Sun solo is mind numbing. Fitting in a group ride and disrupting what they have going on is not only fun but makes the time and miles fly by :)!

1 Like

I’m with you Jake. I don’t want to ever finish 399 again either. Funny thing is that a few years ago when i weighed 230 pounds more, just finishing was the goal. Good luck with your quest. It was a tough day and the head wind blowing on the Blue Ridge Parkway certainly didn’t help.

2 Likes

Those last 16 miles from when you got on the parkway to the finish rank right up there with the hardest 16 miles I’ve done. Felt good topping the climb to the parkway. But once up there and the grind continued, seeing a sign that said 16 miles and actually seeing the top off in the far far distance was demoralizing. :sweat_smile:

Nice job finishing it! 21 miles of climbing to finish a day is something else.

2 Likes