Leanness: lost fat vs glycogen

There’s more than one way to lose weight. How do I know that I’ve reduced my body fat percentage vs. simply losing water weight and/or stored glycogen? Is there any way to determine this at home or do I need to go to a BodPod or something similar?

2 Likes

Calipers are the gold standard. Skinfold measurement. I have a pair from the days when we had our physiology lab. Takes 5 minutes. You can find a health care professional in your area to do the same.

Avoid BodPods, scales, etc… - that’s like wasting $$ on an inaccurate powermeter.

Frank, does the skinfold measurement differentiate between fat and glycogen? Just trying to find a way to quantify my #winninginthekitchen approach!

You do not need nor want to measure glycogen (although that is possible) in the context of measuring body fat percentage (skinfold measurement)

Another answer: success from #WinningInTheKitchen is measured by your power output on a day-to-day basis (not glycogen) and then your change in body composition over time [2-6+ months] which is your body fat % measured with calipers.

Then to the root of your questions muscle mass (not glycogen) and maintaining muscle mass in preference of losing fat is BEST managing by measuring your power output as stated above and getting a regular skinfold about every 2-3 months.

If your power drops from not eating - then you know that you are not eating enough!

1 Like