Ideas for substituting bananas?

Hi all! As the title suggests, I’m looking for ideas on what kinds of foods I can use as a substitute for bananas in general? Sadly, my body doesn’t do too well with bananas. So as far as recovery meals/mid-ride snacks I’ve sadly been screwed. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d greatly appreciate it :slight_smile:

Thanks!

For general snacking purpose you can try Kiwis. For a post race recovery meal you can do precooked sweet potato that you can just heat up once you get back. All about meal prep to make it quick and easy. Of course if you are looking for more of a meal you can do a rice and chicken bowl with some veggies.

Here are some other options as well

1 Like

That’s a solid idea, thanks Coach Jake!

Also check out our Winning in the Kitchen Snacks episode - generally all fruit may be exchanged 1:1

1 Like

Dates have never let me down

2 Likes

depending on the types of date, you can really overload on potassium if you eat too many dates.

@humunuku
To exceed daily intake for potassium, an individual would have to eat ~4 to 5 cups of dates… which would be over 1600 calories of dates alone. It is VERY unlikely anyone would overload on potassium from dates alone.

2 Likes

Well, i wasnt saying that people were going to go on a 100% date diet. If you replace a banana with some dates, which on an ride it would be no problem to eat 5-10, then you are ramping up your potassium. A typical person who eats well, with a lot of veggies and legumes, already is getting a solid amount of potassium , i was just commenting that this substitution could increase it significantly, and thats not good.

1 Like