High Blood Pressure Diagnosis

I’ll be 61 in a couple of months. I’m in my second season of 16-week SS Training Plan and I’m about to begin XC MTB Interval Plan.

I had my blood pressure checked for the first time in about four years at the local fire department before a physical assessement test Sunday. I was planning to participate in our neighborhood FD volunteer unit.

My dystolic reading was 160 and the systolic was I believe in the 80s. It was checked again after about 20 minutes and it was roughly the same. Needless to say, they didn’t let me test.

I’m still in a state of shock, especially after I went to the local CVS today to check it myself. It was still 160 over 80-something. I feel good but have noticed I don’t seem to have the top-end power on the bike but I was hoping a change to high-intensity intervals would kick start that.

I’m searching for a primary physican to see and probably won’t be able to get in for a couple weeks. I know the FC coaches aren’t physicians, but should I avoid starting the XC MTB intervals this week until I see a doctor? Am I risking a grabber? This will royally screw up my upcoming race prep but better to DNS than DOA, I guess.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

55 and have been on a statin for a long time for same.

1 Like