FTP Test Week Before Protocol

I’ve always read that you should not lift weights (legs) the week before an FTP test. Is this still good advice today? I poked around the forum looking for the answer. Advice?

I would not have my athletes do an FTP test immediately following strength training. I’d give them a couple weeks to get their cycling legs and then test.

1 Like

I have the 10 week strength plan ending the Sunday 12/29 & the 18 wk SS starting 12/30. Do you recommend waiting 4 weeks to complete the FTP?

You could do it the week of the regeneration week on day 26. Do day 26’s workout on day 2.

1 Like

About a year ago after finished 10 weeks of Weight Training I launched into 18 W of SS with a 20-Minute test after just 1 week of recovery. I also did the “Power Pre-Test” ride 2 days before. My test results were abysmal! Where I normally end up with 240-255W for FTP I was at 218 on this test. So I did 3 weeks of the SS plan setting FTP at 230 and retested at end of first Regeneration Week. Result was a far more respectable 250. I felt good about that target throughout the next 8-9 weeks of the plan (until which time I bumped up again).

1 Like

Many thanks. I start my 18 week plan today with one week off from weights. It may hurt. :wink:

1 Like

Whewww This is a relief. My gut said this wasn’t going to be pretty or enlightening. Thanks for saving me $ in therapy. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes