FTP test pacing question

I am doing a FTP test tomorrow. I did one three weeks ago at the end of SS1. I felt awesome and went out way too hard in the first 5 minutes (300 watts) and really struggled and saw a huge decrease in the last 15 minutes ultimately finishing at 283.

So I want to retest and pace better this time. What power range should I aim for in the first 2-5 minutes that is sustainable and leave me a little energy to push all out at the end?

Thanks in advance,

James

300 is obviously too much. But you finished the test with an average of 283 watts. So that might be a good starting point. 280 - 285 watts. Might feel easy to start but that is ok. First 5 minutes should feel almost easy.

1 Like

Hey there James,
I’m not a Fascat Coach but i can tell you that i purchased the SS4 polarized training plan, and on that plan i noticed they have a tip on one of the workouts…
2 10 min full gas efforts with a 5 min z2 break in between.
Then average those 2 10 min efforts including the 5 min rest and that should be the number you aim for when pacing the first 2 mins on the field test…
Frank goes over it on this video:

Think it’s around the 6:45 min mark.

Give it a look. :wink:

P.S- Was typing when Jake had already replied…

4 Likes

Thanks for that tip @brunocfeijao. I saw that workout on a previous plan but just couldn’t fit it in before this test.

Ah that’s a shame then…
I guess follow what coach Jake said then hehe.
Gl with the test btw!!! :muscle:

1 Like

Thanks @Jake. I’m always afraid of starting too slow and then having left over energy in the tank at the end. I’m going to commit to trusting the process this time.